Orthopedics Community
my hand is wasting away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

my hand is wasting away

I was rear-ended in Sept 2010 and ended up with whiplash, headaches etc as well as a big bruise on my left elbow from impact with my car armrest. sometime at the end of Nov I noticed a tingling in my left pinky and ring finger and now it is March 2011 and my left hand has atrophied to the point where my hand is really weak and noticeably smaller, and my pinky wants to claw. I am seeing a neurologist who did an EMG and said the problem originates at my elbow not my spine. Do you think it is from the impact or would I have had tingliness immediately post-accident? I am nervous, as I am a nurse and rely on my hands every day.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You should start proper physiotherapy immediately and if required go for any surgical correction if you have any nerve compression in your spine or elbow.

The injury can be due to the accident which might have given an impact both to your spine and elbow. But if you did not have any injuries, fractures and dislocations at your elbow joint after the car accident then it is unrelated. Discuss all issues with a neurologist and come to a proper conclusion and start treatment.

Take care!