Orthopedics Community
no pins for displaced tib fib fx??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

no pins for displaced tib fib fx??

My 12yr daughter fx her right Tib Fib on Dec 20 in a sledding accident. It was displaced, and was reset on Dec 22 in the OR. They opted out of placeing pins at that time hoping that NWB and a full cast would hold the bones in place. We did the f/u xray yesterday (2 week f/u) and the tib has moved off 30% and bowed at 10 degrees. the fib is almost completly off. And they are still not pinning it. They want to xray it again in 2 weeks. My daughter is very athletic and a big softball player (pitches). I am very concerned that by not pinning this injury we will have long term effects. I am aware of the risks of osteomylitis or any  other types of infection that can come along with a surgery. But I hope that we are not hurting her more by not pinning it. At what point of displacement do that pin it? To me the xray looked just like it did before it was reset. I cant shake the feeling that I need another opinion... can something not lined up really heal without any long terms effects? (limp, not grow right ect..)