Orthopedics Community
non displaced distal fibula fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

non displaced distal fibula fracture

Exactly five weeks ago I fell while playing ice hockey.  I didn't think anything was broken and did not get x-rays until 10 days later.  I was told the x-rays showed a "non-displaced distal fibula fracture."  The orthopedist put me in a cam walker boot that I wore on and off until today.  I had my five week checkup today and he took new x-rays.  Now he told me the "joint space" is perfect but when I looked at the x-ray with him I asked about the healing area and he told me there was a "1 mm step off."  Is this significant?  I am 41 yrs old and do not to lose the ability to skate/play hockey.  The MD said no surgery was necessary and I surely don't want it if I don't have to have it.  He placed me in an aircast and told me to wear it as much as possible and stay off my ankle as much as possible.  Will I be able to skate normally and play hockey (it's a no check league) again?

Thanks.

Matt