Orthopedics Community
non union sternum fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

non union sternum fracture

hi, 15 months ago i was involved in a car accident and suffered a fractured sternum mid chest. i went for a further x-ray after three months but the fracture had not healed.
i was advised to remain off work longer and refered to a cardio thorasic surgon, several more months went by but still no joy on the healing, i am back at work on light duties bit still experience pain and cracking local to fracture. the surgon i am seeing has offered me surgery, but the idea of having my rib cage opened and a plate incerted behind my sternum scares me. is there an alternative to this procedure or is it the best option.
many thanks
terry