Orthopedics Community
obliterated disc spaces

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

obliterated disc spaces

I have disc spaces obliterated from C6 through T8. I have a 90 degree kyphotic angle at the cervicothoracic junction. and bilateral mild facet hypertrophy at L4-5. So needless to say I have scoliosis and add to this tuberculosis when I was an infant for which I had surgery to my right lung to remove part of it that was infected. I recently found out that as an infant, 1+ years old Ihad an accident in which I landed on my back and was paralyzed. It seems through surgery and therapy I walked again, but all my life I never had any med or therapy. I always thought my body pains were due to my physical labor at work. This past Dec 2008 I had x rays done and this is how I found out the condition of my spine. Currently I am having neck, lower back, mid back, left leg pain. When I lay down in bed if I try to move or get up the pain radiates on my left leg, hip and lower back. I cant find  a comfortable sleeping position now also because of my neck. My biggest concern is that pain meds are not helping at all and also if anyone could tell me what the possobilities are of getting paralyzed again or what I need to do to slow down the deterioration of ME?
Hello Dear
Treatment options are geared toward pain relief.
.
You  should go in for Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain .Neck and back exercises will help you.
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life..Although slow, usually these conservative treatments relieve pain.Do not be pessimistic and hope for the best.
Best