Orthopedics Community
old sprained ankle still causing pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

old sprained ankle still causing pain

I have had a couple severe sprains to my right ankle several years ago. Recently I took up walking as part of my efforts to stop smoking and loosing weight. I have been increasing my distance to about 2 miles a day.
I am getting quite a bit of pain about half-way from my ankle to little toe, about 1 inch in from the edge of my foot. Its causing me to limp when I walk.
Any idea what is causing this? Is this common?  Can surgery repair this?
Thanks for your help.
Kenny
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear Kenny,

Hello!

You need to diagnose your present problem. It may or may not be related to previous ligament sprain. As you do not have pain while resting or at start of the walk I suggest you to go for proper supportive footwear which will help you not to get this pain.
You can select walking shoes with comfortable soles for this purpose.

If you continue having pain or any inflammation try some anti inflammatory drugs and ice your foot. If this does not help I would suggest you to visit an orthopedician for proper examination and diagnosis.

Take care!

good morning Kenny, i've had several severe sprains over the years and when i finally went to a poditrist (spelling?) had a MRI along with x-rays the doctor saw my ankle is mostly bone on bone now. i go every couple of years or when the pain get to be to much and have my ankle scoped and cleaned out.  my doctor tells me i'm on borrowed time before an ankle joint fusion will be needed, it was his idea to come back every couple years or earlier which has helped.  the doctor that replied to your comment is not a foot doctor so don't get your advice from anyone but a foot doctor.  i just explained what i have expierenced, oh to be exact i've had 6 surgeries on my left ankle since 1988. i use an ankle brace that was recommended by my foot doctor several years ago and have bought a couple of the online since, and the very in price depending on the site. 2 yrs ago i paid $28 (ASO Lace Up Ankle Brace). i've play soccer, baseball and jogged with this thing on.  good luck and i'll be looking forward to hearing what you came up with    Phill