Orthopedics Community
olecranon bursitis coupled with mis-diagnosed staph infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I need help in what to do next.
Here's the situation.
I strained my elbow and got Olecranon Bursitis. I checked myself into emergency. I was seen by a doctor who drained the pus and gave me a steroid injection and sent me on my way and told me to follow R.I.C.E. and it will go away in a few days...
3 weeks later it's still painful and so I go to clinic. The doctor sends me for x-rays and blood tests and tells me to come back the next day. The next day he says it's fine and prescribes me Anti-inflammitories and painkillers (apo indomethacin 50 mg & Supeudol 5 mg) and gives me a referral to see a specialist.
One week later a after a very foggy week of so called convalescence I find I'm in a no better state. Luckily, I have an appointment with a specialist.
I see the "specialist" for about 5 minutes in his office and he says," its fine, stop taking the pills exercise it and soak it in hot water". I failed to mention that it is almost beet red and hot as an oven. He claimed that it was healing.
I went swimming the next 2 days and then was unable to endure the resulting agony and re-checked myself in to emergency. The doctor looked at it and said ,"holy cow, that's infected" and gave me some antibiotics (novo-lexin 500 mg).
I took them for 4 days started to feel a bit better but went to an other clinic and ask the the doctor to drain the pus out of my elbow. He did so and sent it for testing. At the end of the term of my antibiotics I returned to the clinic to see why my arm is still aching.
The original doctor was not there on this day and I was seen by his colleague. In my case folder there were the result from my test and it said I was positive for Staphylococcus Aureus (and that I needed an appointment but never got the call). This doctor was appalled by what had happened and prescribed me stronger antibiotics (Protrin DF) and sent me on my way.
I believe, in my humble opinion, I contracted the Staph infection on my first visit at emergency over a month ago.
My question is this: There is still pain what do I do now? Surgery? Physiotherapy?

Mitchell Lanecki
The first Doctor should never have given the steroid injection if there was any possibility of infection .... it can very easily spread the infection. The staph was present before your visit to the hospital. and Keflex 500mg every 6 hours for ten days should have taken care of the infection. Two aspirations of the bursa is what it usually takes.

over the counter pain pills and advil should be enough to reduce the pain and swelling ... also cut a white sock and pull the elastic part up to the elbow

Been there