Orthopedics Community
orthopedics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

orthopedics

I had a traumatic amputation to my R index finger 2-3mo prior and had to have the who distal bone removed so there would be skin to close over the site.  I have lost significant use of the finger. cannot flex if past 90 degrees, have a hard know at the base of my index finger that extends to the base of the thumb and believe it is a tendon that is slowly shortening because it is no longer attached to the end of my finger. Can that tendon be removed to help give me more motion with the remaining finger and tendon innervation?
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. There may be a few techniques available to improve function of the finger, which may or may not be feasible in your case. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician, preferably at a university or teaching hospital for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!