Orthopedics Community
pain after total knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

pain after total knee replacement

I am 47 years old and have rheumatoid arthritis, i had total knee replacement done in May of this year, i had a good out come and was released from my doctor and physical therapy 5 weeks after surgery.  In the last two weeks my knee has become increasingly painful and even sore to the touch on the outside of the knee, I have not injured my knee to my knowledge and do use the stairs and walk on a daily basis. I feel as though I am bothering my surgeon to call and ask him as to what can be causing this yet I am almost back to the amount of pain I had before surgery. I have even gone to taking pain pills so I can sleep or sometimes even function on a daily basis. I would like to know if this is common or if there could be some other reason.  Is there anyone else who has had this kind of a problem?
I has TKR 12/31/09. I have burning pain. The pain extends eight inches down my leg in all directions. I went to another doctor who, did not perform the surgery for a second medical review. I had knee xrays, which show no problems. The new doctor said it is nerve damage and send me to a pain specialist.  This involves nerve blocks for the pain. I have not taken the injections, which would be in the back I am going today to see if some kind of pills that available. I am just miserable in pain and depressed from my having this much pain daily. The pain is there 24/7 and increased when I stand to walk on it. If you find a solution please advise.