Orthopedics Community
pain in shoulder radiating down arm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

pain in shoulder radiating down arm

For the past several days, I have been hardly able to move my left arm without pain.  I have limited ROM, it is even painful to get dressed.  The main position my hand is comfortable in is kind of like a fist position. I can't reach for anything without tremendous pain.  I have noticed that I am even guarding my shoulder also.  The pain tends to radiate down to my pinkie finger and the ring finger.  It hurts so bad to even try to raise my arm just a bit, for even a gap, to even try to somehow get some deoderant on.  What is wrong???
Hello Nicketti

I can understand your problem well. It seems you are having symptoms of frozen shoulder. Frozen shoulder is also called as adhesive capsulitis, is a disorder in which the shoulder capsule, the connective tissue surrounding the glenohumeral joint of the shoulder, becomes inflamed and stiff, and grows together with abnormal bands of tissue, called adhesions, greatly restricting motion and causing chronic pain.
The following facts and information would help. Adhesive capsulitis is a painful and disabling condition that often causes great frustration for patients and caregivers due to slow recovery. Movement of the shoulder is severely restricted. Pain is usually constant, worse at night, and along with the restricted movement can make even small tasks impossible. Certain movements can cause sudden onset of tremendous pain and cramping that can last several minutes.
Management of this disorder focuses on restoring joint movement and reducing shoulder pain. Usually, it begins with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and the application of heat, followed by gentle stretching exercises. These stretching exercises, which may be performed in the home with the help of a physical massage or occupational therapist, are the treatment of choice. In some cases, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) with a small battery-operated unit may be used to reduce pain by blocking nerve impulses. The next step often involves one or a series of steroid injections (up to six). Treatment may be needed for several months.

Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_shoulder

Best

It appears that you totally have my situation figured out right on the money.  What you stated about the pain lasting for several minutes and more intense at night is so true.  Also, I have intense pain in the armpit.  It hurts to even put deoderant on.  Does that all go with it too?

Again, thank you for responding to my post, you have really eased my mind.  To be honest, it scared me that my left arm was so weak, because I have LVH too.

Nicketti