Orthopedics Community
pain upon standing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

pain upon standing

For the past several months I have pain upon standing just, below my right hip. The pain is on the outer side of my leg.
I will be sitting ( sometimes only for a second or two) and then when I stand up the pain will hit. It hurts to put any weight on that leg. It's only a small area that is affected, around the size of a baseball. It is approx 12 inches below the top of the hip bone where this occurs.
The pain lasts anywhere from a minute to an hour max. As long as I sit down the pain is gone or diminishes quickly.
I have had many broken bones in my past, and it feels like a hairline fracture. I tried to talk to my doctor about this and all he said was that he was sending me in for a bone density test because osteoporosis runs in my family.
I have osteoarthritis, but not sure that it would affect a non-joint area.
Too bad that the bone density scan wasn't performed on my right side...this may have shown something on the xrays.
If it was a hairline fracture you would think that the pain would always be there...but it only happens after I sit and then stand again...and not every time either...it's the weirdest thing I've experienced.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Should mention that I have a weak right ankle and wear a leg brace for that...whenever I think to put it on that is...which is only when my back and knees start to bother me...but I doubt that a weak ankle would produce a pain in an upper leg bone...?
Was born with the weak ankle...the upper leg pain is new as of a few months ago.

Hi there!

This sound more like a nerve impingement/ peripheral neuropathy or bursitis; though other few possible causes are hip arthritis, avascular necrosis, fracture, contusion, muscular injuries, referred pain etc. It would be best to get this evaluated by an orthopedician at your earliest convenience. An evaluation may include a complete physical examination, routine blood tests, imaging studies like x-rays/ MRI, nerve conduction studies etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!