painful broken "ring" toe 4th metatarsal
I broke the toe next to my pinkie toe (fourth metatarsal I believe), or at least I think I broke it.  This happened a week ago; I was walking to my bathroom and my right foot apparently swung a little too wide, went under my lazy boy, then horrible pain and me crying on the floor.  I did not go to the doctor as I do not have insurance as a nursing student (ironic isn't it?).  Then follwoed bruising that covered about 1/3-1/2 of my foot and a big purplish-grey toe.  I have been trying to keep it up here and there and ice it, but I work and have a 5 year old so good luck keeping off my feet.  It is still hurting and I have to walk on my heel.  I am wondering if a trip to the doc's office is warranted.  No matter how expensive and how much I can't afford it, I don't want to have long term-pain.  to top it off, I start my last round of clinicals 12-hour night shifts in the Birth Center in 1.5 weeks.   Any advice on my best course of action?  PLEASE HELP!!!

Pain, swelling, bruising etc can be symptoms of fracture of the metatarsal. You should consult a doctor for an xray and an examination to find out the cause for the pain.

Depending upon the findings, he can suggest treatments such as walking cast, waking boot, splints, buddy tapping, pain killers, cold compressions etc.

It is important to consult a doctor as untreated fractures can lead to bone deformities, chronic pain or arthritis.

Take care,
Regards.