Orthopedics Community
peroneal tendon subluxation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

peroneal tendon subluxation

I am an atheltic small boned age 55 woman.  I awakened with a click in my ankle which I believe from my symtoms (symptoms), was a peroneal tendon subluxation.  I had to crawl to the internet to figure out what had happened. I had not sprained my ankle, but had been on a hike in the foothills the evening before.  I ended up taking a jacuzzi bath for 45 minutes and tried to increase the range of motion.  I could not bend my toes up toward my head and my foot appeared twisted inward.  After soaking  I found I could put some weight on it, but only if it was extended like pointing my toe, not bending forward still.  It was loosening some, so I stepped on my toes with body weight and it clicked back into place.   It was out of place for 5 hrs.  Immediately I could walk..really not much pain.  Now it seems like it's more stiff especially in the morning.  Soaking seems to help alot, but ice doesn't. there is no swelling or discoloation...it's weird.

Now, I am wondering what I should do to prevent it, and can I go back to normal activiites of biking, hiking, pedalling piano, etc.  I don't want it to happen ever again.  I did see the rehab ankle exercises, but wonder if I should do an ankle wrap at night.  I may have been sleeping on my foot funny,and had a charlie horse, and the combination yanked the tendon out of place...

HELP!  thanx in advance!

Karen

The ankle rehabilitation programs show good results and help to restore ankle strength, flexibility, and return the patient to their activity. Recurrent injury without proper rehabilitation can destabilize the ankle supports and can create further problems. Hence, activities like biking, hiking should be avoided till rehabilitation is complete and you have to be careful even after complete recovery. Bracing or tapping should not be necessary if fully rehabilitated. If you have a persitent symptoms, see you orthopedic surgeon or foot or ankle surgeon.

If you truely have a peroneal tendon subluxation, you will need surgery. Peroneal tendon subluxations do not go away, they only get worse.  I recently underwent surgery for the same thing.  I am now 6 weeks postop and doing great!  
Well, I am fine now, and have returned to normal activities.  I think that years of yoga may have stretched the ligament that holds the peroneal tendon in place.  I am going to be mindful of that with any future poses.  I also stretch or soak now after hiking, skiing, biking or any strenous workout, right before bed.  It was a charlie horse that initiated the subluxation.My goal is to not have it sublux again.  Any comments from P.T. would be appreciated, as I am an RN who works in a rehab hospital.

I am glad you are better after your surgery, Tristas.  I have never had surgery, but know it is an option for some.