Orthopedics Community
"popping out" thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

"popping out" thumb

My 7 year old daughter's thumb keeps "popping out".  It has happened a couple of times in the past few days.
Whenver she tries to lift or touch something using her thumb, she gets this bulge at the base of the thumb on top of her hand (thumb knuckle). Her thumb then leans all the way down at a strange angle.  It painful but she is able to "click" it back herself by moving her thumb out and up.  I have strapped it up to immobilise the thumb, what else can I do and why is this happening?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It can be trigger thumb and can also be congenital (since birth).
Hello!

Painful triggering or locking of the thumb is a common malady that can significantly interfere with hand function and the performance of routine activities.

Children with trigger thumb rarely complain of pain. This can be released by passive manipulation with the other hand as your daughter is able to correct it herself.

As you tried strapping I would suggest you to get her examined by an orthopedician and go for relevant physiotherapy. The orthopedician will check for her flexor pollicis tendon

Keep surgical correction as last option.

Take care!
Hi thomic, i've had extensive hand surgeries and problems with my thumb joint, i can only recommend that you research doctors in your area. Don't and i repeat DON'T just go to the nearest orthpedic hand doctor, i did and he caused more damage than what i went in for.  get the best you can, do your research.   your insurance most likely cover it, its just a pain driving farther to see a doctor.  good luck  Phill