Orthopedics Community
possible fracture of the 5th metatarsal - in Aug '09

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

In August '09 while sidestepping my new puppy, I fell off the top step (3 steps) at my back door. I stepped on the edge of a flagstone and my ankle turned and I "rolled" over the outside of my left foot. There was immediate, make you cry, pain in the top outside of my foot about halfway between my ankle and the proximal phalanges. (Looking at an anatomical picture of the foot I would say the pain was around the tuberosity of the 5th metatarsal and the distal portion of the 5th metatarsal on both the top and bottom of my foot.) After taking Motrin and icing it off an on for about an hour and a half I was still unable to put pressure on the foot and it was turning various shades of purple in the ankle, top of the foot and underneath my "pinkie" toe.
At the emergency room after they took x-rays the ER doctor asked me SEVERAL times if I had broken my ankle before. I told her not to my knowledge. I twist them all the time, even walking barefoot on flat surfaces, but have never had a diagnosed break or pain that didn't subside quickly. I also kept telling her the pain really wasn't in my ankle. Although the ankle hurt, the PAIN was in the top and bottom of my foot in the area described above. I even showed her by pointing to it. They wrapped me in a half cast and sent me home with pain killers and crutches and instructed me to be non weight bearing until they called me after the radiologist had read the x-rays.
Later that evening the nurse called to tell me the radiologist had confirmed a previous (healed?) break in my ankle but no new fractures and that it was just a really bad sprain in the ankle and foot. I was instructed to use the half cast for the rest of the week and then use an OTC ankle support/wrap as necessary until healed and that it could take 6 weeks to six months to heal.
I was back to usual activities in approx 6-8 weeks but still experiencing pain in the distal and proximal (tuberosity) areas of the metatarsal. It has now been 7 months and I am still experiencing pain in these two areas, especially in the late afternoon and evening. I work at a desk so I am not on it all day, but weekends at my son's baseball tournaments can bring me to tears in the evening.
My mother is a nurse and has experienced a broken bone not showing on an initial x-ray then showing on a follow up x-ray 2 weeks later herself. She says I should follow up with an orthopedic doctor. If it was broken that long ago, at this point what could be done?