Orthopedics Community
post surgery hematoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

post surgery hematoma

I have had arthritis in my right wrist for many years, I have had three  past fusions with good results of pain until the arthritis progresses into other sites in my wrist.  I have recently had a total right wrist fusion with a iliac bone graft. My question is I have developed a incisional hematoma (diagnosed by my MD) in my graft site.  I am wondering how long it will take for my body to reasorb the hematoma.  It is the size of a baseball, and do I need to be concerned about infection with it.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Haematoma resolves by itself and it will take 2-3 months for complete absorbtion. Till it is not open the haematoma faces very little chance of infection, so do not worry. Take care and follow all the instructions of your physician.