Orthopedics Community
posterior horn tear in medial meniscus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

posterior horn tear in medial meniscus

what is the treatment for a tear in the posterior end of the medial meniscus extending to the inferior meniscual surface
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It depends on your age and what your physical activities are.

If you are young and athletic then you can consider surgery if conservative treatment fails.

Conservative treatment is application of ice packs, intake of NSAIDS and wearing a knee brace for 4 weeks. If treatment improves then you can wear it for further 8 weeks.

Take care!
Thanks Dr. Vinod,

I am 49 years old, and very active, not over weight.  My job as a deputy sheriff has me working long hours, standing and walking and running.  I injuried my knee in April, 1st time, had meniscus surgery May 12th they trimmed two tears in the posterior horn.  Since then I have still been in pain, knee is catching and locking, and and limp all the time.  My right knee is now hurting from compensating for the left knee.  I went for  another MRI last Wed. and it showas as I said another ter of the posterior horn medial meniscus at the inferior meniscal surface, and says "unchanged from the 4/21/10 MRI"  Does this mean they missed a tear then or is this a retear??  The conservative treatment hasn't worked.  Thanks for anymore information or insight you can give me on this.
Also Dr. Vinod I wanted to add it also said there is a tiny posterior joint extension into the gastrocnemius semimembranosus bursa.  There is no joint infusion.  They also stated on this MRI report that minimal partial-thickness articular carlilage ulceration of the femoral trochlea.  Can you translate this into laymans terms for me.  Thanks for anything you can tell me.
Hi Dr. Vinod I am a 22 year old netballer, who injured her knee during a match practice, when I went to do the M R I, the results came back saying:- Large joint effusion
             Anterior and Posterior horns of medial menisci tears
             Anterior cruciate ligament high grade injury
what should I do, I really want to play netball again and at a national level, can u help me please.
Hi Dr. Michael L Gross I am a 25 year old athelte, who injured his left knee during a long jump, when I went to do the M R I, the results came back saying:- tear of the posterior horn of medial meniscus involving appearing inferior articulating surface. Partial tear and expansion of the anterior cruciate ligament is seen.what should I do, can u help me please.
Hi,  I suffered a fall twisting my leg.  MRI showed an undersurface tear in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.  The MCL was mildly thickened and edematous.  I had an arthroscopy 3 weeks ago and the doctor said there was no tear.  I am still having significant pain in the medial knee when standing up.  Is it possible the tear was missed ?  I'm not sure what to do.  I golf quite a bit in the summer and I'm afraid with my knee pain I won't be able to.  What do you suggest?