Orthopedics Community
problem joints. Ligaments/tendons?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

problem joints. Ligaments/tendons?

I am a 69 year old female and until three years ago pretty active, lots of walking, tai chi and some swimming. Then my shoulder started to hurt. Doc said tendonitis and I did all the resting, gentle exercise, ice etc. Got to a very acute stage after about a year and finally had mri and xray which showed some torn tendons but also a large area of calcification which was the cause of the acute pain. Had successful treatment with electric shock wave therapy and the shoulder settled down. then I fell on my right hip. Had an xray and no break so did the usual RICE but pain continued and increased. Had a large swollen lump on hip and was diagnosed with trochanter bursitis. had a cortisone injection which caused more pain, then a brief period of improvement before increasing pain again. This was two and a half years ago. I have seen several specialists, had an MRI and nothing really untoward is seen. The pain now travels from lower back through buttock and sometimes down the outer thigh. I go for regular physio and he says that all the fascia, muscles and tendons are being affected because so many parts pass over this bursa. I think I have tried every home treatment possible, some seem to work for a while and then the pains are as bad again. Also about a year ago my left knee started to hurt on outer side of kneecap with a slight swelling. I saw a doc and he said it was compensating for the right hip. My physio says it is another ligament problem. One person whom I consulted early on asked if I had taken quinolone and I had had a short course for a urinary infection shortly before the problems started with my shoulder. he insists that this could be the cause of all the tendon/ligament problems. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?

This discussion is related to Arthritits and tendonosis at 20.
Hi there!

Well yes, quinolones have been linked to tendinopathies and musculoskeletal disorders and could be a primary cause in your case. As far as your symptoms in general, I would be difficult to tell without a detailed clinical evaluation. These could result from the conditions you have mentioned as well. I would suggest seeking an opinion from an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hi there!

Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for answering my query. I will try to find someone here in Spain.