radiating hip ache

I am only 24 years old and I have a dull aching pain in my left hip that radiates down my thigh, sometimes all the way to my calf. I have had some similar pain before, but NEVER was it this bad. It started more widespread and less severe in my lower back, tailbone, buttocks, and hamstrings, but has lately condensed to my right hip, but still radiates down my leg. Even though ache is less widespread, it hurts more. The frustrating thing is that it makes no difference what I do, how I stand, sit, or lay, the pain is always there. I can never get comfortable when I try to sleep and wake up often from the pain. I have noticed that if I remain perfectly still for long enough, the pain calms down. The second I shift that leg, it starts back up again. I have tried to ignore it, but just can't take it anymore. I am a runner, and I continue to run because it distracts me from it. Running seems to have neither a positive nor negative effect on it.

This is NOT a muscle pain. I ran cross country for several years so I know what muscle pain is.  This feels like nerve pain to me. I know I should go to a doctor but I know they will just tell me to stop running, or tell me I'm fine because there is no obvious muscle pain or dammage. Basically, what I want to know is the following: WHat could it possibly be? Has anyone else close to my age had this? and anything else I should know so I know how to control the conversation if I go to a doctor. My father does have arthritis of the hip. Could I have beginning signs at my age?
What you are describing sounds like sciatica, can you find a good chiropractor to treat you?

I hope this helps,
achilles2