Orthopedics Community
recovery from broken tib/fib

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

recovery from broken tib/fib

i broke my tib/fib 3 weeks ago and my consultant said im able to go back to work as my fib has healed and my tib is healing back together. ive been told that it will take another 12 weeks for the bones to be fully healed. my questtion is im still getting pain at the fracture site and im still walking with quite a heavey limp could anyone tell me how long i will have the limp and the odd nagging pain at the fracture site or will i have this for life? i have a rod and 3 screws in my leg to would it be advised to have these taken out after full bone healing and could this be contributing to the limp and pain. i am thankful for any advise and replys to this message
I broke my ankle/tib/fib over two YEARS ago and still have problems with pain, weakness and even swelling.  I did not have surgery on mine, so your healing process could very well be quite different from mine but it's very possible that you will have problems at least for a long time, if not for life.  The rod and screws could be adding to your pain/limp as they are a "foreign" object in your bone and just from the stress of them being put in during surgery.  The decision to remove these would have to be between you and your ortho surgeon - I know some of them do remove them after proper healing, but others prefer to keep them in place, not only for added support to the previously broken area, but also to avoid a second surgery for removal.

Best of luck and I hope you get some relief soon.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Your consultant is absolutely right when he said tibia fracture will take time so you have to remember to consider lifestyle changes while you work.

There will be pain and inflammation and you would need to take intermittent pain killers. Avoid putting full pressure on the injured leg and also limit physical activity to the minimum.

After couple of weeks your pain will decrease and also go for a follow up visit and an X-ray to know if your tibia fracture is healing properly and based on the results you can proceed.

Complete recovery with no pain and proper gait will take at least 6 months from now if your bone heals.

Take care!