red marrow conversion
I have Dx of MGUS.  MRI w/contrast pf sacrum, pelvis area shows plasmacytoma and 5 other apparently benign lesions/probably cysts, and red marrow reconversion was noted.  Question:  is plasmacytoma, by definition, pathologic (regardless of cause, as yet unknown)?   Question:  is red marrow reconversion necessarily associated with multiple myeloma (when I use red marrow reconversion as key words on the internet, it links me to MM)?  (Oncologist told me not to be anxious and we will re-MRI in 6 months, but I do have these questions and he was not keen to answer questions--taking them as a sign of anxiety--well, not knowing things makes one far more anxious.)  Thanks.  Donna
Hello Dear,
A plasmacytoma is a discrete, solitary mass of neoplastic monoclonal plasma cells in either bone or soft tissue .
Bone marrow is divided into red marrow mainly constituted of hemopoietic cells and fatty yellow marrow. In some situations, yellow marrow may be converted into red marrow and this process is called marrow reconversion.It is not necessary that it is only related to multiple myloma.Do not be anxious and follow your physician’s advice.
Refer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14656644
Best