Orthopedics Community
removal of the medial meniscus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

removal of the medial meniscus

I had a consultation with my orthopedic consultant last wed and he's advised me that there is a tear and severe degeneration of the Meniscus.  I’m having surgery within the next few months and there are concerns that they might have to remove the ligament.  Can someone please tell me what the long term effects will be and what I can do to help alleviate any long term problems, as I'm quite active (running, horse riding etc).  Will I need to give up these activities to help prevent arthritis in my later years?
     How are you? These meniscus functions to distribute your body weight across the knee joint. The uneven weight distribution would cause excessive forces in specific areas of bone leading to early arthritis of knee joint. The two most common causes of a meniscus tear are due to traumatic injury (often seen in athletes) and degenerative processes (seen in older patients who have more brittle cartilage.

There are two methods of surgery i.e., meniscal repair and the other is meniscectomy. Prognosis is good in the former method compared to the latter one, but recovery is longer for the former method than the latter method.
Loss of the meniscus places more of a burden on the cartilage surfaces of the joint and they are more likely to develop knee arthritis.

Therefore, any lifestyle changes to decrease your risk of developing arthritis can improve the prognosis after having sustained a meniscus tear. For example, weight loss, low-impact exercise, and prevention of further trauma to the joint will all improve the long-term prognosis.
Best.