residual pain pinky metacarpal fracture
My teenage son fractured his pinky metacarpal in a lacrosse game.  No surgery was required - just a cast.  The cast came off after 3.5 weeks, new xrays were done, he could easily make a fist for the doc, and doc said he was good to go and could even play again that day or as soon as he felt ready - and that residual pain would go away soon.  Now, a week later, he still has pain.  He has mowed the lawn and thrown a few times, but not fully reengaged in competitive lacrosse.  The pain is definitely better than when the cast came off a week ago...but how long should we expect it too last?  And although the doc said he could play right away...and although xrays show him healed...is the pain still really normal, or could he be hurting the hand by playing on it.
Hi there!

It is not uncommon to experience discomfort after splint removal due to fracture. This occurs due to muscle/ tendon stiffness after weeks of disuse. Ideally activities should be initiated gradually to avoid the situation. I would suggest resting for a few days and then gradually initiating exercises. Physiotherapy may be useful in the process. Meanwhile ice-packs and OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!