Orthopedics Community
retrograde femoral nail system surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

retrograde femoral nail system surgery

4095457?1237175440
I broke my femur in 2007, and I got a Smith & Nephew's retrograde femoral nail system. Now I'm having problems with the screws on my knee, and the doctors are going to remove them. But the orthopedic wants to remove the whole material (screws and nail) and I’m concerning about the following:
If the whole material is removed, will I get bone marrow again or the bone will be hollow?
If just the screws on the knee are removed, will the nail be loose and affect the bone?
Which would be the best choice, remove the whole material or just the screws on my knee?

The specification of the material is TRIGEN META-NAIL Retrograde Femoral Nail System.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
hello ferchoman,
removing the nail with screws is the best option for you. Don't worry about your bone marrow or hollowness of the femur.

regards