rib pain for 5 months
I injured my rib about 5 months ago- initial xrays at the ER did not reveal a fracture, but my primary Dr. (after examination), said it was likely a cracked rib at the botton/tip of the left rib- and that it doesn't always show on an x-ray. I have taken pain medicine and applied pain patches, but still have pain when breathing/moving or touching my rib. since there was no evident fracture, what should I do? I have been ignoring it for months since I was told there was nothing that could be done, except to control pain. The pain isn't as bad as the first 2-3 months, but it's still bothersome. What does this sound like?
Hello!

A proper chest X-ray will reveal rib fractures.

With a single rib fracture you have to go conservatively.

Take pain killers and rest and do not exert yourself in any physician activity and keep your inspiration and expiration i.e. breathing under control.

Try to sleep on sideways and not on the affected side of the rib.

Follow up with an orthopedician if your pain continues with the above lifestyle changes.

Take care!