Orthopedics Community
right broken ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

right broken ankle

suffered broken ankle in May 2010.  Had surgery with plate and screws to fix.  2 weeks no weight bareing, 8 + weeks in camwalker boot - weight bearing as tolerated.  Then moved to right ankle element brace and cane.  Have completed 2 sessions of PT.  Have chronic pain i ... [More] n foot/ankle with every step I take.  Both my foot/leg are still swollen and discolored.  Taking pain meds daily.  Recently returned to work (4 hours per day sitting).  
The swelling and discolouration should go away in the next few months. Keep working on the PT-I know it can be overwhelming but getting your ROM going is huge! Not to be a "Debbie Downer" but I have been taking pain meds for 21 months.Finally had hardware removed a few weeks ago so hoping it will give me some relief eventually but only time will tell.   Take Care!
I experienced the very same thing in Sept 2006 and had ankle fusion surgery Dec 2008.  The pain you feel when you walk may be scar tissue rubbing against the tendon or ligament. I understand how very painful your injury is... don't feel alone and know if you ever want to talk please feel free to message me. My tip is to keep it elevated as much as you can.  It will help the throbbing and swelling.  Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Hi there Tomcat, i fractured my talus bone, as well as dislocated my ankle 15 weeks ago. I was in plaster cast for 2 weeks, and then two fibreglass casts for 3 weeks each, and now have the cam walker boot, which ive had for 7 weeks now which was great to get, now can bath my foot and have seen an increase in the look/feel since i can remove the boot from time to time. I am off work for 6 months, I will still have cam walker till october, but then can switch to a cane instead of crutches, will parobally have cam walker until december, and then ankle brace for 2 years. I would recommend personally, and you could talk to your doctor to confirm what suits you best, but i have been taking calcium and magnesium suppliments, as well as D and C and a B100 to boost my immune system, as well as help my body heal the fractured bone. I have been off pain meds for almost a month now, and am seeing a weekly progress. I keep it elevated quite a bit, about 75% of the day, and try to maintain the partial weight bearing orders from my doctor. If you are in PT now, i highly recommend that you stick to your PT instructions, take some pain killers before hand and work hard at getting your range of motion back. I cant go to PT for 18 months, because of the extend of my injury, they want to just try and get me walking first, because with a hawkings type three fracture, theres chances of bone collapse, which would lead to another surgery to fuse the anklebone. Right now, i only have about 50% range of motion, and they say it may only get to 80%, but time heals all. Its a horrible time of year to break anything as it ruins your summer plans for sure. Best of Luck! hope everything goes well!