Orthopedics Community
right side flank/back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

right side flank/back

I have right side flank/back pain, sometimes excruciating, especially if not medicated. I can not lay flat on stomach, back or on either side, also bending at the waist. It is constant! I have been sleeping in a propped up position for over 2 months now. I had several tests when this all started at the beginning of Sept 09, at Immediate Care, to include sono of gallbladder, kidney, liver, blood work and urine; all were negative. They were going to do an MRI of my back but since I couldn’t lay down I asked my MD if I could get an injection before but she wanted to see me instead and after exam and touching my lower rib put me through the roof she did an X-ray. She found no lesions or cracks so now believes I have torn a lower rib ligament and said it could take 3 to 4 months to heal. She prescribed, NSAIDS, a 6 day solumedrol pack, hydrocodone 1-2, 7.5-500 every 6 to 8 hrs and then a couple weeks later, when I wasn't getting any better, gabapentin for nerve pain. I have been taking the Gabpintin for 4 weeks now, I spoke to her nurse a week ago and explained I was no better but MD still doesn’t want to see me for another 6 weeks. I am very concerned as I think I should at least be progressing a little and am not, I actually feel worse and the least little activity will aggravate it even on meds. The pain is a poking, burning pain and sometimes it radiates around to the lower abdomen or has a weird fluttery feeling along with the sharp pain if in the wrong position too long (10 seconds). Any other recommendations are welcomed.
  • Rib Removal? (44 replies):
    I have a loose rib, and it's been causing me sooo much p...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn

You need to diagnose your case properly and if possible go for an MRI.

Take intermittent pain killers and always try to take up positions which are comfortable and also limit pain.
You can visit a neurologist to see if there are any spinal or nerve issues related to the severe pain and also if possible visit an orthopedician who will be helpful to diagnose any bone, ligament, muscle injuries.

Take care!