rotator cuff rupture
hello,

I was diagnosed for having a rotator cuff rupture. I have not had xrays yet to see if it is a full rupture.I would like to know if it is possible to treat without surgery.Do I have to keep completely unmovable the joint of the shoulder or this will make it to weak? the symptoms are weakness in the whole arm and continuous slight pain  at the outside of the shoulder.
How are you feeling now? How old are you?
60% of cuff tears occur in those >60 years old. How were you diagnosed to have rotator cuff rupture?
Did you have any trauma to the shoulder joint?
I think you should be doing imaging studies as soon as possible as partial-thickness tears are likely to progress to full-thickness tears over time.
What were your symptoms? Has orthopaedician evaluated you?
It’s not possible to treat rotator cuff tear with medication, without surgery.
Surgery needs to be planned.
What line of management the doctor has advised you?
Keep me informed about your decision and about your discussion with your doctor.
Bye.
hello again, i am 38 years old  i was climbing and after a movement i felt pain  in my shoulder..  i have pain in certain movements and continuous slight pain in the shoulder.i also fell weak my hand. I went to another orthopaedician today and he was 100% sure that there is no tear not even partial one because he said I would not be able to lift me hand above my head.,nor complete the climbing. he sais it is an injury on the tendon but not a tear and it needs one or two months to be well. he did not give any medicine.continue normally my life. should i trust him?
Normally, when the arm is moved away from the body, the tendon (which is referred to us as conjoint tendon) slides under an arch in shoulder joint. As your movement makes arm in line with shoulder joint, there is natural tendency to rotate the arm externally, thus allowing the rotator cuff to occupy the widest part of the space. If the arm is held persistently in such a position and moved to and fro (repetitive) movements, the rotator cuff may be compressed and gets irritated and causes pain. Once you have crossed this junction in your movement, after this stage if you take your hand above head, it will be pain free.
Try raising your slowly and see.
What you are feeling is while taking your arm away from your body and reaching at the level of shoulder joint you feel pain.
You might be feeling pain as in cleaning a window, painting a wall or polishing a flat surface.
This is sometimes referred to as rotator cuff syndrome; however there are at least five conditions with distinct clinical features and history.
Scheme of examination and treatment modalities are different for each of the five conditions.
Your symptoms come close to a diagnosis of Impingement syndrome. Although this is an estimated diagnosis (based on your presentation), but for a proper diagnosis you need to visit an orthopaedician for examination and further line of management.
It is possible for this orthopaedician to miss the diagnosis.
You need to take a second opinion from another orthopaedician in other area and do imaging studies.
Hope this helps you.
Keep me informed about your MRI report and also your discussion with your orthopaedician.
Bye.
krr
just received my MRI results--severe localized supraspinatus tendinosis. low-grade partial degenerative articular-sided tear.  can't get in to see the doc before my vacation, and the question is--can i make it worse by snorkeling?  obviously, if the pain is horrid, as it has been at times, i would stop.