Orthopedics Community
scaphoid screw removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

scaphoid screw removal

I broke my radius and scaphoid in early march and had a screw put in my scaphoid (which was cleanly broken in half) in mid march. The bones healed in the expected amount of time, and my wrist specialist says there is no sign from the xray that my ligaments are out of place.

I am still having a lot of pain in my wrist and am unable to bear weight on that hand. I also get very sore from extended periods of cutting with scissors or computer mouse usage. I am going for an mri next week, but my doctor says I may need to have the screw removed if it is even slightly out of place. If this is the case, what is the healing time? He says it is slightly less invasive. Will the bone just be empty? Will my ability to bear weight improve? how long will I be in a cast?

If the MRI tells nothing, are there any other options to improve my pain? I haven't been able to work out or work (graphic design) for extended periods of time since March. It is really getting old, and since I'm only 23 I'd like to think that I won't have wrist pain my whole life...
I am not a doctor but my guess is that you might have torn your SL. and possibly other ligaments.
If the screw comes out and everything goes well, your bone will fill in, there wont be a whole in your bone.
If everything is good and he takes the screw out my guess would be no longer then 4 weeks in a cast if at all.
Sorry I can not be of more help to you. Good luck and keep us updated on your mri results
hello this is nithin i meet with an accident after few i heard that my bone is fractured SCAPHOID... soo that doctor screwed and did bone graft and now i am feeling better after few months that screw should be removed or not??