Orthopedics Community
schmorl's nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

schmorl's nodes

My sister in Italy is 55, after intense pain at her back for a few days (middle section, with shooting pains also at her rib-cage), she went and had X-rays taken yesterday, and they told her she has Schmorl's nodes at her D-11 vertebre.
No ostheoporosis.

She is quite fit and active, she told me that this pain began after a few days of some extra effort she did carrying something and possibly after an intense session with her chiropractic she has been  seeing regularly for a few years now. She doesn't recall something specific that she did to cause the pain to start.

Her pain is diminished but of course she wants to be reassured that it is not something really problematic.
I did a little research and saw more or less what this is about.

What's the best immediate "therapy" for her?
Rest and chiropratic? Is there something she should be avoiding doing from now on or can she have a normal life?

Thank you very much for your advice.

STEFANO
Schmorl's nodes are not an uncommon finding on spine radiographs. If you look at the picture, it will look much like a bite has been taken out of the bone.  Most of the population has them and doesn't know it. Your sister has probably had these all her life. Schmorl's nodes do not impinge upon the nerves of the spinal cord or cause bulging discs.  There is no treatment for them and they don't change or go away. They are generally painless, so it is doubtful that the pain your sister is having is caused from this finding.  Treatment will not be based upon this finding alone, but on her symptoms, any arthritis found, and general condition of the bone. If your sister is older than 40years of age, I suggest she talk to her MD and see about getting a bone scan (DEXA)to see about any osteoporosis risks.  good luck
Thank you star queen.

Actually she just did a DEXA and she is absolutely fine, no ostheoporosis at all.

She actually is still in pain after one week of the diagnosis and she has to go ahead at pain killers...
I just found out today my husband has Schmorls nodes.  He was in severe pain one day from his eyelashes to his toenails especially in the middle to upper back.  Went to the ER couldnt find out anything, just iflamation of the muscles they said and put him on muscle relaxers, Mobid, and Loracets.  Gradually got worse over next few days could not even get out of bed without help and sever pain, in tears.  He is 44 years old man and in excellent health.  Xrays showed nothing, blood work showed nothing. Finally a MRI came up with the diagnosis. as Schmorls nodes.  Yes he has a also a bulging disc as well but pain was not coming from that.  This pain went on for at least a week with severe pain with help out of bed and then trying to walk and having to stop upper back muscle spasm/pain.  After about 2 months now he is much better but still has a hard time getting enough air in to sneeze, which was impossible at the beginning of this 3-4 month timeframe.  So we are waiting on appointment tomorrow with the doctor on exact extent of this disease.  Pain I assume will return at some point , but no answers to this as of yet.  Thanks.
Debbie
This is really interesting. I have just gone through a very similar episode that started about a month and a half ago - gradually increasing pain over a weeks time (from a fall at work) that led to some of the worst pain I've ever had.  Continuous back spasms, couldn't walk or get out of bed without help.  I finally ended up in the ER, where they gave me an x-ray that was inconclusive.  Had to go back to the ER a second time because my legs and feet started going numb.  Finally got an MRI, and guess what - no typical disc herniations and no pressure on the spinal cord, but an acute schmorl's node in L2 with associated edema.  

I started reading up on this, and it seems the medical establishment has recently accepted that even though these are normally asymptomatic, the acute variety can cause severe symptoms.  This partly has to do with the central disc material, which can be highly caustic to blood-fed tissue, coming in direct contact with the blood-rich center of the vertebra.  This causes a lot of inflammation and subsequent acute pain, although this is only part of the picture, I'm sure.  

The good news, from what I understand, is that after the bone heals up properly (which they say can take months), things should be mostly back to normal, although there is a slightly higher risk of back problems in the future.  You need to be careful to NOT go to a chiropractor initially (I made that mistake).  After the bone has healed, then the chiropractor will probably be beneficial, as will some physical therapy to get some strength and flexibility back.

A Schmorl's node by defitinition is basically a centralized disk herniation in which the cartilaginous end plate of the vertebral body has sustained fracturing and there was injection of disk material into this fracturing of the end plate. Thus, a Schmorl's node is a form of disk herniation. It is linked to trauma at some point in a person's life. Some people do get them in the teen years when playing sports. Recent research has shown that the material or chemical substances within a disk can cause noxious (painful) stimulus. This is also the case with a typical disk bulge or herniation. You do not have to have direct pressure on nerves to causes pain. Any time the disk loses its integrity and the nucleus shifts to a position outside of its normal confines, it begins to leak chemicals such as substance P, interleukin I, and many other big technical names. These have been found to acutally lead to a dripping of these substances onto the recurrent nerve or spinal nerve itself leading to pain like there was direct pressure on the nerve. This also explains why some people have herniations and Schmorl's nodes that are not painful and others have pain. It is when the disk is actively leaking these substances that it becomes painful. The typical model of thinking is that Schmorl's nodes are not that big of a deal. However, I can tell you by experience, many people have debilitating pain from these. Some helpful treatment notes is that traction and the newer non surgical spinal decompression works relatively good. It will not be a cure all for everyone. Everyone heals differently and there are many cofactors. People with diabetes heal slower for example. use of MSM is a natural anti-inflammatory and has been shown in research to shrink the size of disk herniations. I would also suggest B complex vitamins and use ice at home not heating pads. Disk problems are inflammation. You control inflammation with ice not heat. I have disk herniations and was once basically paralyzed in my left arm due to disk bulging. Disk bulging is seen much like a Schmorl's node. Most physicians see them as being insiginificant because the radiologist says bulge instead of herniation. Junior Bryant of the San Fran 49ers and Chris Depoto of the Colorado Rockies actually had to give up their professional sports careers from "mere" bulging.  I would also recommend Pilates and Yoga based exercises when someone's pain levels begin to decrease for stabilization. Also see a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. I am not selling these products or pushing them. These are recommendations for those in spinal pain and cannot find solutions. I hope this helps.
Your comments are very interesting. I have had severe low back pain with r leg pain for nearly 3 years. I cannot sit without the pain increasing and then I become nauseous. I have also over the last 6 months had very painful chest pain and it feels like I have a belt tightened around my chest. It is more painful when I breathe in. I have had a few MRI's and have been told that there is nothing surgical that can be done. The most recent MRI says I have a number of small Schmorl's nodes in the lower thoracic and upper lumbar spine and prominent posterior and right sided osteophytes related to the t4/5 and t5/6 discs. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I totally agree and appriciate your reasearch and opinion about smorl's nodes.  I think the medical comunity is unaware of the pain caused by these smorl's nodes.  I also think many people with no apparent herniation or buldge, but apparent smorl's nodes are routinely sent home with the understanding that nothing is wrong with them.  I had an injury and the same thing has happened to me, in my opinion is you get a smorls node from injury or event and its painful you must get rest becuase this irritiation will never stop if it does not have time to heal ( my present situation).  I have smorls nodes in the thorasic area extensively and have pain in my thoraisc.  One interesting finding is that when I had a discogram from T-5 to T-8 we found a symptomatic herniation in T6-T7, an asymptomatic herniation at T7-T8 and supprisingly a symptomatic disc at T5-T6 and what is there, a smorls node.  I think many of my others are symptomatic as well.  But I am no doctor.
I have had constant severe lower back pain for 6 weeks and had begun with typical PT activities to strengthen core spine muscles ( lumbar multifidus and transversus abdominis ). After several weeks I was still in great pain and had an MRI with contrast of the lumbar spine done yesterday.  The radiologist report noted an acute Schmorl's node at L4 to the inferior endplate and related edema and swelling in the area.  I am beginning oral steroids at my Dr's recommendation but would like to better understand what options exist for repairing both the disc and the hole that has developed in the bone marrow of the vertebra.
I found your comments on schmorl's nodes and pain related to "bulging" disc due to chemicals that irritate the nerve interesting.  My husband has schmorl's nodes at multiple levels in the lower thoracic and upper lumbar spine and has had a recent microdiscectomy at L3-L4 with re-injury.  The recent MRI shows only bulging in the L3-L4 and L4-L5 region and he is in terrible pain radiating down into his hip and leg.  The symptoms are the same as they were when the disc was herniated before surgery but the doctors don't treat the bulging the same as the herniation but the pain is the same and the schmorl's nodes were mentioned on 2 of the 3 MRI's he has had.  I've been wondering if the schmorl's nodes were significant even though the doctors do not seem to place much significance in them.
cowgirldollar
I was diagnosed as having a schmorls node L5-S1.  (some other minor buldges L3, L4) It was found last Feb.  I have had back issues for a lot of years, but the pain from this is like no other.  I had an MRI from 2002, that that they compared to on from 2007. The pain radiates out to the outside of my hip, making it tough to walk and bend, but the pain never radiates down.  I'm 43 and an avid ice hockey player.  I ended my season early last year, and  did all the therapy thru the summer, and now I have played 1 game this fall and I'm a wreck.   Everything I read is about controlling inflammation.  Has anyone tried any herbals.  I looking at a pill that contain glucosamine, boswellia, devils claw, turmeric, and ginger.  I'm also reading about Mona-vie Active, a power juice also with glucosamine.  has anyone gone down this path?  Really want to keep skating.
My 16 year old was finally diagnosed with a Schmorl's node from a cheer accident two months ago and she is suffering terribly.  Does anyone know how long this will take to heal, does it heal and what can be done?????????
Have a 17 year old daughter that is now being diagnosed with Schmorl's nodes.  She is a softball player and works out rigoursly during the off season with a trainer.  Has been in terrible pain.  Radiologist brother in law after two MRI's  has made diagnosis and we believe to be correct.  He thinks laying off all activity is key.  However, don't know if she is willing to do so.  Having tried PT and chiropractic, now thinking about trying accupuncture to help with the pain.
Hi Jany,
What's your daughter’s name?
Schmorl nodes are intra-osseous vertebral lesions that are common findings on plain radiographs and CT and MRI scans of the spine.
These nodes represent disc material that has herniated through weak areas in the adjacent vertebral endplates into the vertebral body. In some cases, these weak areas may be the physiologic sequelae of the regression of vascular canals near the end of vertebral growth (particularly in young patients), whereas in other cases they represent a weakened endplate or sub-chondral bone.
Such herniation also may occur through pathologically weakened bone, and they usually are found in the thoracic or lumbar spine, although there have been reports of Schmorl nodes of the cervical spine.
In your daughters case I think the disc penetration may be secondary to acute trauma while playing.
Treatment is symptomatic. In the presence of an acute intra-osseous herniation, NSAIDs and rest is the mainstay of care until the patient is able to resume normal activity. Bracing may be initiated for comfort if needed.
Physical Therapy: Physical therapy may help with persistent backaches. It should consist of extensor strengthening and flexibility and endurance training.
Prognosis is generally good.
What kind of follow up have the doctor planned for your daughter?
What treatment modalities has he planned?  What is the line of management?
I would be interested to know.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
My husband just found out he has a Schmor's node in his lower back.  He is 29 years old and always has severe back pain.  This was diagnosed through a Lumbar Spine X-Ray.  He doesn't like taking pain pills and can not afford insurance.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Texas woman,
What is your name?
As I have told earlier, Schmorl nodes are intra-osseous vertebral lesions that are common incidental findings on plain radiographs and CT and MRI scans of the spine.
These nodes represent disc material that has herniated through weak areas in the adjacent vertebral endplates into the vertebral body.
In some cases, these weak areas may be the physiologic sequelae of the regression of vascular canals near the end of vertebral growth (particularly in young patients), whereas in other cases they represent a weakened endplate or subchondral bone.
Can you tell me what is reported on imaging study?
How is the Schmorl found out?
Is MRI being been done? What does the doctor have to say about his back pain?
What could be the cause for it?
A vertebralplasty is a possible solution to end the pain of schmorl's modes.  The broken ends of the vertebral bodies (back bones) are filled in with cement, allowing the disc to remain as a flat cushion between the bones, reducing inflammation.
Chiropractors and physical therapists do little to cure the pain, and in fact can cause more harm.  
The standard treatment is complete rest to allow the bones to heal, and if they don't, the first treatment might do the trick.
A vertebroplasty is a treatment for a compresssion fracture of vertebrae, which I have at T7.  Unfortunately, it works best if the fracture is less than a year old; mine happened 22 years ago.  I have marrow edema , which they say "may be a source of persistant pain".  I have multiple small Schmorl's nodes at opposing endplates specifically at levels T8-9, T10-11, T11-12, T12/L1.  I won't even start on my lumbar region!  Anyway, my pain has increased over the years, and I haven't been able to wear a bra for more than 8 years because of it.  If the bone heals up, then there must still be nucleus material leaking on nerves, since I have pretty intense pain.  My MRI from 5/23/07 showed "multilevel mild to moderate degenerative disc disease changes...from approximately T3 through T9, manifested as loss of disc space height, disc dehydrative changes, mild disc bulging and mild endplate spondylosis changes, also several levels of mild endplate reactive changes anteriorly.  Anyway, I went to see an interventional radiologist, who told me he didn't know why I had come to see him; it was too late to do a vertebroplasty.  My Sports & Spine doctor said there was really nothing else to do, after trying an epidural injection at T7.  Sigh!   Now I've been learning about Nucleoplasty, and wonder if it might help if my bulging discs have worsened and are contained herniations.  On December 10, 2007, I lifted my cat in his carrier, turned to go into the vet's office, and herniated L4-5.  My chest wall tightened up and muscles went into spasm and my thoracic pain is worse.  Should I ask for another thoracic MRI?  Oh, and a hip arthrogram showed that I have a 12 mm labral tear at the 12 o'clock position.   For Pete's sake!  Thanks for listening!  I'm trying to figure out (while going through epidurals and a possible cortisone shot in the hip) if I should try to get my hip repair first, or nucleoplasty or microdiscectomy first. Oh, yeah, I also have a hypermobile SI Joint.  Any ideas?
I am 27 years old and I was found six schmorl's nodes in my thoracic. No medication will alliviate this horrible pain, it has been more than six years with pain, I tried therapy, pain management, cortizone and epidural injections and it does not help me at all I even had to quit my job for this pain, I really need some advices on what to do.
Hi Gigi,
Schmorl nodes are intra-osseous vertebral lesions that are common incidental findings on plain radiographs and CT and MRI scans of the spine.
Treatment is symptomatic.
In the presence of an acute intra-osseous herniation, NSAIDs and rest are the mainstay of care until the patient is able to resume normal activity.
Bracing may be initiated for comfort if needed.
Physical therapy may help with persistent backaches.
Should consist of extensor strengthening and flexibility and endurance training
Prognosis is generally good.
Complications can occur in form of loss of substantial disc space, degenerative joint disease of the facet joints may result, with additional symptoms.
If the diagnosis is unclear, or if pain does not resolve within 6 to 8 weeks, serial radiographs should be taken to ensure that the lesion does not grow or change in character.
I think you need to re-plan your imaging study and pain management with help of available resources.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hello I have a 14 year old son, that was taken to the ER today. Woke up for school crying saying that he cant move, after many hours in the ER they told me he has Schmorl's Nodes, and Scloesis.  The doctor told him this and now he has gave up on life.  Could someone please help me I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks Penny
How is your son feeling now?
I can understand you might be feeling devastated as this is happening to your son.
What's your son’s name?
What treatment is planned? Have the doctor's mentioned about physical therapy? If yes, what they have to say about that?
What is the treatment planned? What have they mentioned about Scoliosis? What is degree of angulations of scoliosis?
Keep me posted.
Bye.
You can also ask the doctor regarding vertebroplasty as mentioned by fluffysmom on this forum.
Thanks so much,
His name is Michael, and I still can't get him to come out of his room.
He keeps saying that he wishs that his life was over cause all the pain he is in.
We have not get in to see his doctor yet.  They are so busy with the cold thats going around they cant get him in for 2 weeks.  So Mike is just going crazy.
Please help

How is Mike doing?
So you have not been to doctor as of yet. Well keep me posted once you visit the doctor. Meanwhile you can treat Mike with OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen and topical analgesics ointment too.
You can take appointment of physiotherapist meanwhile so that some pain and ROM would be taken care of.
Physical therapy should consist of extensor strengthening and flexibility and endurance training.
Good Luck.
Bye.
Hope everybody is doing better, I still have a lot of pain, when I wake up and the whole day even when I go to sleep 24/7, I am taking tramadol, meloxican, and carisoprodol and nothing helped. Did somebody try anything else, I just don't want to give up yet, I have a lot of faith that some day everything is going to be back to normal, I am doing yoga sometimes though but I will keep in touch, Please let me know if something new can help me with this chronic pain

Thanks a  million guys
Have you tried epidural steroid injection? I think you can discuss this option with your doctor regarding steroid injection. You should not be taking more 3 injections per year.
It is better to get this procedure done by experience doctor.
Have you heard about this procedure?
Keep me posted with your answers.
Bye.
Hello, yes I tried epidural injections, I went over for three sessions and did not help me at all,it just messed up my menstrual cycle,  the doctor told me that I have to live with the pain  and I have 6 on my thoracic and 2 on my cervical, any other suggestions??

Thank you very much
Are you aware of vertebroplasty and has that been tried for you? Vertebroplasty might help you in relieving pain.
The entire procedure is described in following URL; you can go through and keep us posted regarding your thoughts.
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=vertebro&bhcp=1
Keep us posted with your thoughts.
Bye.
My son is a 14 year old wrestler that was diagnosed with Smorl's Nodes last year.  His original complaint was back pain in the thoracic/lumbar area.  The Smorl's nodes  exists between L1-L2, L2-L3, L3-L4.  The prescribed treatment was rest, PT, stretching, and core strengthening.  This improved his symptoms significantly.  While wrestling did not create any symptoms, exercising did.  We had to modify his exercise routine because too many push-ups for example would start to cause pain.  Over the past few weeks, even wrestling has started to cause pain.  He has another appointment this coming week, but I was curious if you have any advice for a youth with these symptoms.

My son really enjoys wrestling, but I am starting to be concerned that it could cause more injury.  He has not reached puberty which I understand the vertebral endplates are softer until after puberty.  Also, there was no trauma that we are aware of that caused this condition.  He was sometimes using weights to exercise.  The weights were used occasionally and were not heavy (low weight, high reps).  He was using them as a routine change from his normal exercise routine of push-ups, sit ups, etc.  Could this have caused the injury?  

My husband is 63 years old, and was recently diagnosed with a compression of the superior endplate of T11 with a small Schmorl's Node.  He is in pain all the time, and the doctors don't believe that he has that much pain.  Is there something we can do for this or is he going to be in pain forever.  They have given him some pain medication but it just doesn't work anymore.  Please let me know if we could do anything to help him, as he can't seem do anything he use to do and he feels that he is worthless.  
Thank you.
I'm a carpenter who thot my 16 years of pain was just from my trade and the injuries that come with it. However, I just found out I had a Schmorl node right where the pain is eminating from. It is very painful to bend over and pick things up or even leaning over a sink to brush my teeth or wash my hands, which is not happening at this point.  Ok- I've wimpered and snivelled enough, I know there are people here who are much worse off than me, but I too would like to lead the remainder of my life with out pain. My ability to earn a living is directly related to this narley node. I would like to know:

Can it simply be surgically removed?

Thanks,  Derrick
I fell on my back while in the service, and afterwards I started having pain in my left hip.  Many tests were run to try and find what was causing this pain, but everything looked fine. It wasn't until a physical therapist started poking around my back that things changed.

The findings of the first MRI are below.  I have had several done over the past six years for my back, and everything looks about the same:

1. multiple degenerative Schmorl's disease from T11/12 down through L4/L5

2. Bulging discs at L2/3 and L4/5

3. L3/4 centeral disc protrusion, 5mm

4. Loss of height of disc at L5/S1

After six years - the only change is that the discs are more out of place now then they were before, and I am developing bone spurs.

I've done physical therapy (over 50 hours alone while in the service) trigger point injections, TENS, and drug treatments.  All to no avail.  I'm still in pain, walking is particualary painful because I feel it up in my hip and back.  It just never got better.

I don't know what else to try.  I am a disabled veteran because of my back - which means the formal medical board thought there was something wrong.  Ironically the specialists I see in the VA insist that my back is normal.  Which is it - and can I ever get back to normal.  It's even harder now because I am dealing with hyperparathyroidism and a thyroid nodule on top of all this.  

Celest
Hi, my name is Judy. I am 47 years old and I have suffered from back pain for years. In fact, I can't remember not having some type of back pain. It's gotten worse over the past few months. I have taken several different NSAID's , pain meds, steroids, you name it, I think I have taken it! Lol!! And nothing seems to help. I really don't want to keep taking the pain meds because I'm afraid of getting addicted. I usually wait until the pain is unbearable before I take them and then my heat pads helps so much. i have one at home and at work. I recently had an MRI, the results were: Chronis Schmorl's nodes at L1-2 and L2-3 and mild degenerative canal narrowing at L4-5. No herniated disks,annular disk bulges,lateral recess, or neuroforminal stenosis. The Doc's sugestion is to refer me to a Neurologist and have a nerve block. Any suggestions on how to alleviate the pain and also any comments on the nerve block? Actually, any help on this would be reatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Judy
TN-USA
I am 16 years old.
Played Baseball and basketball my whole childhood.
Then Skateboarded the last three years.
Until last Jan. when I suffered a trauma injury to the back.
I had no clue it was even bad so I kept skating.
The pain got worst and worst and now i havent been able to do ANYTHING the last 6 months. And have had chronic back pain everyday.
Its so depressing and I cant stand being in pain anymore.........

If there are any idea or suggestions someone has, I would greatly appreciate them.

I am a 40 year old woman.  In 2005 I was injured at work when a door fell on my head.  Since then I have had neck and lower back injuries.
Workman's comp.  denied my claim and settled for almost nothing.They said because I have an extra vertaebra that it was my fault.  I have bulging and ruptured disks all through my back and neck.  And also have Schmorls's nodes in many of my endplates.  I also have burstiis in my right hip.
I couldn't walk for 18 months, at one point I was actually in a wheelchair.  I went to specialist after specialist and nothing helped, they actually told my I needed to see counseler and not a doctor because my pain was in my head.
Then I found a website called Lose the Back Pain and it helped me walk again.  I still have some pain and sometimes have to take Pain medication but the like before.  I hope this will help someone out there.
My son is fifteen and very active. he first developed backpain last year after a track practice where the athletes repeatedly jumped on one leg over tiny hurdles. He recovered from that, but the pain returned the next year when he jumped up the stadium stairs on one leg at football practice. This time the pain would not subside and an MRI showed Schmorl's nodes. He also has never been very flexible (able to touch his toes); I read that was also a Schnorl's symptom. After reading the previous postings I cannot stop crying.
My son lives and breathes football. He is playing through the pain right now because he prefers that to not playing at all. It is the only thing that he is passionate about. He knows that he will probably never be an NFL player so he is considering various career paths that will allow him to stay close to the sport (physical therapist, PE teacher/ high school coach, etc.). From what I have read it seems that he should stop playing right now and never play again. I don't want to tell my son that he has to give up something that brings so much joy to his life. Can't something be done?
        I fell snowboarding and fractured my sacrum about a month ago.  The sacrum has fully fused and I am feeling better.  I had a CT scan in the ER that showed my hairline fracture, no big deal.  The CT also showed a pars defect and schmorl's nodes in my L4/L5.  My lower back has been progressively getting better I thought up until about a week ago when I woke up and struggled getting out of bed.  This was a different pain from the sacral fracture in a different area of my lower back.  It radiates to my right hip but does not shoot down the leg.  Since then my lower back in the lumbar region has been in severe pain.  I can walk, and carry on with daily activities just fine, but going from a sitting position to standing is absolutely horrible.  I have a very high pain threshold and it feels like a 9 at least.  I have been extremely athletic throughout my 26 years with kickboxing, boxing, soccer, swimming up until my snowboarding fall last month.  All of a sudden I feel like an old man gettting up, out of the car, and out of bed.  Its only been a month since the fall, I am not pushing it at all, I have been going to the chiropractor for weekly adjustments and massage therapy.  I have been taking NSAIDS such as Ibruprofren 800mg about 3 x's per day.  I have been using ice as much as possible, especially at night when my symptoms are at the worse.  I am as frustrated by this chronic pain as anyone on here, trust me.  I am trying to get more advice on treatment.  Should I be stretching more?  Are there any herbals? What about injections?  Surgery has always been the last resort in my book, but if that's what it takes to get rid of this pain, so be it.  Please someone let me know if there's anything I can do more.
In January 2009, I had a really bad slip and fall down concrete stairs. After fall I had a moderate degree of back pain that was treated with steroids and narcotics. After about 3 weeks my back pain began to increase, eventually to the point where I could barely walk or get up from a standing or lying position.Pain radiated from mid back to left hip, devoid of any leg symptoms. Hence, I went to the ER in hopes to obtain a CT or an MRI. The first worry was a fracture, but the CT was negative. I then had a contast enhanced MRI and an acute T11 smorl's node was identified with possible fracture to pedicle. We are now in March and despite the rest and  the pain medications, I still have constant pain. I was running 5 days a week prior to this fall and now I am reduced to a reclining chair. I fear depression creeping in. I need to know that with a little more patience I will be feeling better....Its just been too long.
In Feb. of last year I fell down a flight of stairs while offshore and landed on my thoracic spine. I have been living with pain not only in my back but when it really acts up I get a fist sized ball of pain right behind my sternum. I went to the ER a week after the accident because the company's doctor just said that I had a strained muscle and just kept trying to pump me full of pain meds. I got X-Rays and a CT w/o contrast while at the ER. After the CT they came and gave me a shot of Demerol that just took the edge off the pain. They recogmended that I go have an MRI done because the swelling was too severe to see anything. I didn't have the money for that so I've just lived with the pain for over a year. Recently the pain has gotten much more frequent preveneting me from even holding my 5yr old son. Yesterday I went back to the ER to pick up my CT and Radiologist's report. Right there is big bold letter's it said that I had a Schmorl's Node in my mid thoracic, didn't actually give me an exact location. I've been looking this condition up on the internet and most thing I read say that it is asymptomatic and maybe minor pain. I'm gonna get a lawyer involved to have the company fix my back but my question is how can anyone consider this pain to be minor??? I have had multiple broken bones and have been ejected from a car in an auto accident and none of that even comes close to touching this pain when its bad. Does anyone think that I could also have a bulging disc that could have been missed on the CT that is causing these severe pains?
hello,
i to have been diagnosed with increased smoral nodes, with wedging,and ajustment issues, i forget the word for it. diagnosed from mri.
i also have a secondary diagnoses from a spine and pain group with non spacific back pain& derangment , diagnosed from a regular exam by 2 dr,s at the same time.
the area affected is t1-t9, symtoms (symptoms) in cluding severe pain of the mid back and neck, and as with everyone on this post, the pain is so bad i am getting extremly desprate for releif. the spine and pain dr's have rx'ed  phsyacal theropy for the 6th time, all resaulting in the same resault of no releif and a new levale of increased pain.
i have back pain sence i was 14 yrs old and has steadly increased sence i am 32 now. i was discharged from the military, and the fire service because of this pain. and have been unemployed for two years from inability to cope with the function's of any job with out the aid of pain killers of what ever type that i may be on at the time. and i refuse nercotics when offered because i dont want to be an adictt and in pain.
but i am getting to the point to whare i dont care about about the possible addiction, being a recovered addict and open about my drug use to the dr's . thay are not willing to give me nercotics for pain mostly from my deniel . but never the less treat me differnt  from my openess. to the point i dont mention it anymore in fear of this same reaction. and for those who may think that im looking to get nercotics, i have been clear of my addiction for seven years with no relapse, and i havent taken any type of nercotic for at least a year, and that was after a tooth extration.
but any way id like opions on weather i should go threw this pt. i wanna get better. because im loseing everything that i have ever loved, including my relationship of 4 years. and i cant bare the pain anymore.
im interested in any opions that you may have.
I have developed similar symtoms (symptoms) to most described here. Three months of severe pain in lower back,hips & down legs . CT scan showed node formation of the S1 . Referal to have MRI . Nothing much seemed to curb the pain until I started to use an old inversion table I've had for years for minor back complaints .Hanging upside down ( don't go past 60 deg. ) for 15-20 minutes morning & afternoon has reduced the pain to the point I can bend down to put my boots on.
  I have also started taking powdered glucosamine in a glass of milk & fish oil tablets. Next I think I will sart swimming again to build up core strength.
Hope this helps someone.

Eric
sorry hate to burst anyones bubble but i have been suffering for over 18 months now and have finally accepted what my doctor has been telling me all along ,i have schmorls nodes T6 thru T11 and there is nothing that any doctor can do but treat the pain and believe me there is a lot of pain with schmorls nodes ,i now will be trying the spinal cord stimulator because i have to take so many drugs to deal with the pain and i cant take it  anymore . i currently work full time but dont know what the future holds for me .please dont let anybody tell you schmorls nodes dont cause pain
Hi All I’m 26

A few weeks back after a wakeboarding session, I started to have really bad back pains that weren’t allowing me to move a lot, felt like I wanted to collapse at some times, I could feel nerves pinching. So I went to the chiropractor and they started treating me... they said I should feel relief after 3 weeks, last week was the fourth week and nothing has changed... I decided to go to the doctor to get a referral to get a CT Scan just to check things out if it was very serious... well the results showed I have schmorls nodes in my lower back L2 somewhere... the doctor has given me inflammation tablets and said everything looks pretty normal and all good it’s just inflammation in the muscles and some muscles that is pinching my nerves and that the medication will take care of this...

Since then it has been a little better the last 3-4 days... but then I stumbled across this site...  reading all this, does it mean that the pain will always be there if I stop using the medication... I was under the impression that after the medication the inflammation would be gone and nothing to worry about and I can go about doing what I did before....???? Is it worth pursuing doctors’ recommendations on this or is this it...? Also if I can bare that pain would I damage anything if I continue doing sports etc...?
I can relate to all who have had the back pain with swollen muscles under the front right rib cage.  I had steriod shots in the front muscle which helped that pain but still much back pain.  I recently saw a pain specialist who referred me to a VERY GOOD physical therapist.  He cautioned me that many times physical therapy actually can make this worse however, I started a regime that seems to be helping.  I've had episodes of this on and off since March 2003.  The only thing that has ever relieved the pain is a week in the hospital under heavy pain medications.  2010 has been the first time since 2003 that anyone has actually correctly diagnosed the problem.  Computer work makes the problem worse as well according to the therapist.  My suggestion would be to find someone who can help you CAREFULLY strengthen all three muscle types around the spine.
Hi I am 29 and have been experiencing mid thoracic back pain in the middle of the night that is so severe that it wakes me up.  I have been having this pain since November 2009.  I tried sleeping on different types of surfaces thinking that it was the harness of my mattress that was causing the pain but nothing really helped.  pain meds would help after i got the pain so i then started taking motrin before going to sleep which did cause relief and alleviated the symptoms.  however after a few weeks i decided that this is not something that i could do every night because NSAIDs can cause multiple issues with your stomach lining and with your kidneys especially when taken at high doses and over an extended period of time.  this is not a road i wanted to end up on.  the pain clearly affecting my sleep and thus was affecting my work performance, i would always feel tired and sluggish.  i was also getting emotionally effected and was starting to get depressed.  After finding the time I finally made an appointment with an orthopedist and had an MRI done subsequently back in March 2010.  The MRI showed Schmorl's Nodes in the exact area where i was having the focal back pain that would wake me up each night.  It turns out that Schmorl's nodes can illicit muscular spasm in the area where they are located.  The exact mechanism doesn't seem to be so clear cut.  The orthopedist offered me reassurance and recommended physical therapy.  He told me that I didn't have a tumor or any abnormal growths in my spine and that this is something that surgery is usually not done for.  this is likely something that i have had my whole life and that most patients that have this are without symptoms and usually have normal lives that are pain free.  While this has been reassuring to hear it didn't really help my back pain.  I have not tried the PT because i really do not have time to go but here are some things i have tried some of which have worked and others that haven't:

I must say after a deep tissue massage i usually do have relief for about three days and i wish i could afford to get this weekly but i cant so i have had to resort to other treatments.  I have tried yoga, stretching exercises, pain medications, and muscle relaxants.  The muscle relaxants and pain meds only help after i have the pain attacks but they usually make me groggy and disoriented.  Motrin does not cause these side effects but can cause other systemic ones which i mentioned.  The yoga and strengthening/stretching has not really yielded any results in terms of pain although it does have other health benefits.  

The thing that has offered the most help has been sleeping with multiple pillows such that i am almost in a seated position while in bed.  This has given me much relief and when i deviate from it i invariably have back pain at night.  Although i haven't seen any articles about positional manipulation at night causing relief with Schmorl's nodes this is the only thing that prevents the pain from occurring in my case.

I hope this testimonial has been helpful to some.
i just found out that i have smorls nude and i am in a lot of pain from it what can i do to ease the pain a little bit this has been going on for 4 years now
Hi everyone.  

I'm Sunny, 59 yr old woman..  This is so great reading posts from people going thru such similar spine problems.

I injured my thoracic spine yrs ago in a fall on the.  Had a disc fusion (bone from my rib) at T 8-9. Continued with serious pain,  then 2 MORE fusions--T 6-7 and T 10-11--this time with bone from my hip and the TSRH titanium rods.  A few months after this surgery, I  began to experience sharp, horrible, stabbing pain that was worse than my herniated discs.  Eventually, had the rods removed and was in better shape over  the years--just learned to deal with the stiffness and rigidity of my fused area. Went  on Teachers' Disability Retirement and Social Security Disability.

NOW, for the good part. A few months ago I had a nasty car accident here in Las Vegas---woman turned in from of  me in the intersection and I hit her going 45mph.  Went to ER--had x-rays--nothing showed up.  Now, after 10 PT treatments, I had an MRI. MRI showed several areas of disc degeneration (no surprise) and Schmorl's Nodes in the area of my spinal fusions---T 6-7 thru 10-11.   If these discs were fused with bone, why should there be herniation of anything?  

My pain doctor a few days ago looked at my MRI report and he said it may have "suggested" that 2 fusions from yrs ago didn't take!  That would be horrible news because so much time has gone by.  I will now be seeing a neurosurgeon to have him interpret the MRI films. Hoping I will get some answers.  I am in horrible pain when I walk or do any little household tasks.  I did NOT have this pain before the car accident. Can an accident like that CAUSE the Schmorl's nodes.   Appreciate anyone's input!!  If my problems are due to the Schmorl's nodes, then Schmorl's nodes most definitely  can cause serious pain!
I have been misdiagnosed with stigmata of juvenile discogenic disease to explain the Schmorl's nodes.  The real cause was a car accident.  I think the confusion is that the thoracic spine is supposed to be protected from injury more than cervical and lumbar regions because of the rib cage.  I am in terrible pain, too.  I think the explanation of the leaking of chemical from kwood1 above makes the most sense.  Good luck finding a doctor who understands this condition.  
Just curious, can these thing improve or go away? They popped up on my MRI and I'm wondering if they will always be like that or can they get better?
I was in a car accident May 13, 2010, where a lady T BONED me at about 70mph and ruined my life forever I thought. Its the ignorence of the doctors, hospitals, and then the cover up for the first one who screwed up because if you tell them you were in a 70mph T BONE, crushed between the door and console, and knocked out cold without my head hitting anything, and didn't go to the hospital because I said I was alright! I was in shock, my body was so in shock I guess I didn't feel anything at the time because I lost my memory for 3 months, then all heck broke loose. I find out that my vision was so bad and so disoriented, and PAIN, PAIN that only people like us can imagine. I was discharged from a Neurologist 3 days after I saw him. I had tests from him that my wife took me too. One was for a EEG for Seizures but when I regained my memory I saw that it was for Pschosis and never received from hospital the results. 4 MRI'S Brain, Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar. I had so much damage it was ridiculous. But the worse thing is that on my Thoracic which has several herniations, I have Chronic Schmorl's Nodes.
Small endplate depressions are noted adjacent to the disk spaces in the lower Thoracic Spine consistent with CHRONIC SCHMORL'S NODES. I have had so many doctors ignore this and when I tell them that the worse pain you can possibley imagine comes from the middle back to my chest, that makes it extremely hard to breathe and this is 24/7 and even a Neurosurgeon all of them put on their reports that there is no reason we see that there should be any pain in this area!!!!! I have never got any medical help in over a year. The only thing I got were tests that were not suppose to show anything but did and so they put only stenosis lumbar. I did get 1 doctor to give me another MRI asked for upper and middle but only would give me a lumbar MRI because in 2002 I had some herniation in lower back. This was about 11 months after the first and when it came back 3 time worse than the first I was again discharged. I raced motorcycles for 10 years when I was young and have been in pain sinse 15 but it never bothered me or was a problem. Until I damaged my Thoracic on May 13, 2010 and now after 39 years this pain is so bad that I would rather be in the looney house, because I never thought that anything could cause this much pain that it drives you crazy. So anyone who for a minute thinks that having Schmorl's nodes is nothing I say let me beat you in the back with a baseball bat several times a hour for a year, then if you tell me that I am not in or any of you out there are not in the most extreme pain all of the time, then I guess there ready for another round of the bat.
Im only 17, i've been having back pain since mid august, had an mri scan 2 days ago and turns out i have schmorl's node. The doc says its because of the sports i do, he says its not alarming and will heal but it will take a very long time.
hi i  have nodes on my T2-T12 it hurts hard to sit,, pain intense around rib area,,, my nero didnt say anythang about what to do,, even my regular doc asks me what my nero doc told me to do ,,,so what am i gonna do made appt, to see nero doc an make him explain to me what do i do about the pain? i also had fusion on my L3,L2,4,, an have osteo,, on my right hip,, tyvm for listening,,julie

I am having nagging pain in my back for the past one and a half months. MRI shows that I have a schmorl's node at L2. I have consulted 2 doctors and they say that there is nothing to worry and everything is normal with the mri findings. Pain is not going away. I have tried interferential therapy, ultrasound etc. and i have also done some exercises to strengthen my back muscles. But nothing is giving me a complete relief. Any idea when this pain will go away ?

Thanks.,
Harish

I've been a research doc in Immunology for many years.  Injured my back when was rear ended in 1984, herniated L4-L5 central into canal, had a neurosurgeon repair and had flair ups that lasted a few days to a week. When they occurred pain was unreal, spasms that made hard to breathe but always subsided with laying flat, knees bent on thermophore heating bad and meds.  Been getting worse last 15 years. Managed to not get addicted with the doctors throwing pain meds at me by only taking at night to get some sleep.  A few years ago, went to Snow Mountain with my kids and down south they DON'T know how to tend a slope.  Ice chunk hit me in tail bone and must have fractured it.  Ever since, pain constant, feels like someone is drilling into my hips and pain down legs.  Now just went through 3 MRI's in last 4 weeks. Shows degenerative changes, nerves pressed on by two discs and Schmorles nodes, hemangioma on spine and pockets of edema.  Pain is unreal, down legs and up to neck, right shoulder and down arm with weakness.  Doctor blowing it off, as usual and throwing pain meds at me.  
It's absolutely true that the disc material is toxic to nerves and tissue containing many inflammatory cytokines (IL-1, etc...) which causes the attraction of cells known as macrophages which eat away.  Other cytokines cause direct damage also.  The idea that these nodes are nothing is absurd.  Anytime a doctor can't get results, they chalk it up to mental or made up.  Here I am with real herniated discs, prior surgery, clear impingement of nerve roots and these nodes and doctor acts like I'm making the intense pain up even though I turn down pain meds (acts like I'm trying to get them). Now scheduled for spinal injections which, no offense to those who get relief, I hate them, painful and what they are doing is injecting steroids that shut down the production of cytokines like IL-1 etc... While that may be good for decreasing the inflammation and attraction of cells that cause damage, it also interfere with your immune system function.  I used dexamethasone in lab to wipe out immune function in mice so we can transplant cells that are not matched.  They have a PROFOUND affect on immune function locally and maybe further with these injections.  Your immune system fights off cancer cells everyday in everyone and it only takes one cancer cell that gets past this system to start growing.  Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem but the pain is so bad now I just don't care anymore.  It's like Fibromyalga (fibromyalgia), anyone remember how all the doctors called people with that mentally ill, or faking? Funny how Big Pharma now has an FDA approved drug for a "fake illness".  How about chronic fatigue syndrome? most doctors think that's a mental illness but if you do your homework you see they suspect several viruses now.  What they can't treat they mock!!! The only thing that worked for me was medical Marijuana, high in CBD and CBG.  I DO NOT LIKE the psychotropic affects but the pain relief and anti-inflammatory affect of these compounds are 50-100 times more potent than NSAIDS.  Another note, chronic use of NSAIDS cause heart disease!!! I should know, had a heart attack last year after taking most of them for 28 years.  Atypical heart attack with only right coronary artery blocked, all others were clear.  This was a sign that it was NSAID caused.  Watch the drug commercials now, they clearly state that "chronic use of NSAIDS can cause heart disease" to protect themselves.  A new drug may be approved next year called Sativex which is basically extract of Marijuana with high CBD and CBG, if we're lucky. Otherwise you have to be a criminal to stop the pain or become addicted to the drugs THEY choose which don't really help and make it so you can't function and then you're a criminal if you take them too long.  Welcome to the land of the free and the home of BIG PHARMA.  On a closing note, the government just gave the rights to use the  plant to one or two companies who will extract it and make more money at our expense.  Marinol which some use, pure THC, is nasty and cost 30-50.00 a pill!!! Talk about criminal!!!! Good luck to all of you, if you live in a medical marijuana state, try it and you will see it works.  I strongly recommend you find the low THC ones with high levels of CBD and CBG, there are only a few in California that have it and it's 7-8% these compounds with very little THC which is what gets you "high".  The body has what's called the endocannabinoid system which regulates inflammation. You can check this, it's published accepted work by major peer reviewed journals.

If you're not in a state that has these laws, watch out!!!! even if you live in a state that has it watch out!!! While Obama promised not to prosecute those who have real medical reasons for use, it's a lie.  His top cop, Eric Holder is prosecuting and shutting down it's use all over these states and by signing up you're giving them your name, address and where to come arrest you.  Again, Welcome to the land of the free and home of the brave!

i had an accident at work over a year ago and have been in sever pain since.  first i was told i had a disc protrusion at L4 L5, i started physio and was told i had a hitch in my hip and sever muscle strain as well,  i have had two MRI with the latest saying schmorls node at T11  i have tried physio (for 4 months) chiropractor, acupuncture, steroid injections, im on pain killers and meloxicam still cant work a full day, constant pain,  i just received an inversion table and hoping it will help.  My understanding is that Schmorls Node is two vertebra's  pressing down on each other causing the disc to spread and weaken and hit nerves,  my doctor didn't know anything about it and i have been left to deal with this alone.  Advice anyone please?
I have Schmorl's on my L5 but have no pain from them
Can they be mistaken and be an MS lesion instead?
I have MS
On October 17th 2010 i took my then 12 yr old to A&E as he was in considerable pain and couldn't sit down properly. He was a keen Rugby player and footballer playing both for his school teams and our  town. The pain had been developing over the previous week but reached it's worst on this day. We were sent home with 'bruised ribs'! 10 days later with no improvement i took him to our GP who laughed at the bruised ribs diagnosis and sent him for an xray. After the x-ray we were immediately sent back to A&E to be seen by the doctors. We were given 3 different opinions by 3 different doctors, the last diagnosis being my son had a fractured spine ! After MRI and CT scans the final diagnosis came as my son had a 'Limbus Lesion' and a 'Schmorl's Node' on L4. There was also some bruising on the bone. The pain my son was in only occured when he tried to sit down or if he was stood still for more than a few minutes. The specialist assured us that these findings were purely incidental and would not be the cause of the pain.

20 months later, to today. My son is still unable to physically sit down. When he does he experiences acute pain. He will be 14 very soon. He has lost 2 years of education as he has been unable to attend school. We've has all the psychological mumbo jumbo thrown at us, that his pain could be psychosamatic (sp?) we've had over a year of physiotherapy and hydrotherapy with no effect. Drugs do not provide any relief other than cause constipation, which to someone who cannot sit down, is a slap in the face ! We've had 2nd and 3rd opinions at our hospital. 'Mechanical Back Pain' is the diagnosis. The specialist refuses to consider that the lesion and node could have anything to do with the pain even though that is where he feels it. My son is missing out on his childhood. I am desperatly fighting for a refferral to the Royal Orthapedic Hospital for a fresh opinion from a new team of doctors. It's so frustrating
I went to doctor with thoracic pain radiating into ribcage and abdomen. The doctor told me I have a lumbar contusion. But he prescribed me a muscle relaxer and Anaprox 550mg (alieve). The muscle relaxer is called Tizanidine 4 mg. It has helped more than anything for the muscle spasms. It is a muscle relaxer that is used for specifically spinal cord injuries. After going back because pain wasn't much better, They did Ct scan and found I had Schmorl's nodes at multi-levels of lower & mid level of my thoracic sine. Don't know what they plan to do yet. Hope this helps. You might ask you doctor about this muscle relaxer. Best of luck.
Brenda
hi,
  ur info pertaining to the schmols node was very interesting. i had compression fractures on d3,d12 n l1 when i ejected out of my fighter aeroplane. there was associated soft tissue damage and edema.i was treated coventionally with strict bed rest for 1 month and an additional month of rest...
  after 9 months i still have pain in the lower back from prolonged sitting at work...recent mri showed a shmols node at d12 where edema had been...
  cud u please prescribe what i need to do...i feel immideate relief on lying down..should i take off from work? is schmol's node the cause?
   thanks a lot
deepak
hi,
  after 9 months i still have pain in the lower back from prolonged sitting at work...recent mri showed a shmols node at d12 where edema had been..did the edema develop into schmol node..is there something wrong i did in the interim period?should i have taken more of bed rest? i have been eaten up by guilt that i screwed up the recovery...i took the usual precautions of not bending forward and lifting weights...took adequate rest after return from work..etc.
   thanks a lot
deepak
Smorl's node is a fracture or chip out the spine. Check wiki out. Mine as always caused me pain through my life after falling from a high slide onto gravel at 6 years old till now being 40. I've found cannabis to be my prefered medicine for relieving the pain. I've been using and studying herbal medicines in theory and practice for around 20 years.  
For 2 weeks I've been taking Devil's Claw, a root found in Africa touted for relief from spine  inflammation. 4 capsules (2 at breakfast & 2 at dinner) gave me instant relief the next day and each day after. Do your research on the internet--you cannot take it with some drug, and it can only be taken for 4 months. It's sold on Amazon.
mybackpain
I'm 37 & super healthy & active. I've had a Schmorl's node pain for a year due to a minor tweak in my  mid back & it side-lined me. I found relief in acupuncture (some acupuncturist are definitely better than others) & yoga. I got my initial major relief from a Mayo Clinic chiropractor that does the Graston technique. He said I had scar tissue covering my back (it was trying to protect myself) and I was super stiff. That really got me on the healing path. I felt amazing after my first visit and didn't realize how crappy I was actually feeling before. He said yes, it was a Schmorl's node, but also noted myofacial issues related to that (your back is like a series of rubberbands & everything effects each other). So his focus was on my hamstrings--he really got in there and rubbed it out (it hurt, but so worth it). Now to keep relatively pain-free I need to keep my hamstrings very stretched. I always thought acupuncture and chiros were just hokey medicine, until I was at my wits end and would try anything. I can't sing enough praises about both. Acupuncture did seem to wear off effective ness after a while. I got really sick of hearing from my other Mayo docs that Schmorl's nodes don't cause pain, finally after 3/4 year the chiro finally agreed since that was my sole location of my pain. I did a few stints of PT then rested for half a year and activity moreso stretching seems to help the most. Yoga seems to be the best answer for a productive life & injury prevention (and this statement is coming from a former college rugby player :) Does anyone know if these ever heal or go away? Good luck!
These nodes can very much cause pain. The nodes cause inflammation in the spinal cord where all of your nerves run through. When there is inflammation in the spine, it does affect/ bother the nerves. I have this too.

I just had an mri done because of never ending pain in my upper back for almost ten yrs now they found chronic schmorl's nodes in 7vertebrea but treat me as nothing is wrong im on antiflamitory meds an nerve pain this doesnt help what kind of specialist should i try to see
I have read plenty of your comments and find them very interesting because I was a very sporty person growing up and just before my 18th birthday I was told that I have a sixth lumbar vertebra and there are Schmorl's nodes in that specific vertebra. I am 22 now and I am in so much pain. The medical team that treated me just sent me home with anti-inflammatory tabs as well as muscle relaxers. These do not help! Please advise me on what to do next.
I also find all these comments interesting in the fact that there is overwelming unity in the fact that the drugs don't help and there is definitely always pain associated with having Schmorl's nodes.  I have all the horrific pain symptoms that have been listed, I continue to work at a physically demanding job only because I have been told that there isn't really anything wrong with me....besides the herniated discs and bone spurs in my neck and lumbar spine, schmorl's node in lumbar spine, Stenosis and severe osteoarthritis in spine. I have muscle spasms that would drop you to the floor and the pain in my ribs,  I thought they were broken. I might have one good day a week. I also had breast cancer and a double mastectomy. I am curious how many others were told just to keep working?