Orthopedics Community
sharp pain in left knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

sharp pain in left knee

Hello, I have been having a little problem with my patella tendons for a while off and on they would flame up and it will feel like something is going to pop when bending, it happens in both knees, I put ice on and by the next day it's gone. I use to play a lot  of basketball and football I am now 35. Last wk I was playing basketball and when I came down from jumping I had a real sharp pain in my knee and could not continue. Around the top of my knee cap is tender and hurts and when I put pressure on my knee getting out the car or anything I get sharp tack like pains under my knee cap and sometimes on the side of my knee and it aches a little, I have really slight swelling but I am able to walk. What do you think it is and what should I do?
Hi!
The location of the knee pain can be a useful guide. Pain in the front portion of the knee can be caused by bursitis (inflammation of the lining of the joint, possible due to injury while playing), arthritis, or injury to the patella cartilage (front portion of the knee). Pain on either sides of the knee is usually related to meniscal tears, injuries to the collateral ligaments, and even to arthritis. You will need X-rays and MRIs of the knee to find the exact. Treatment will follow correct diagnosis. Do consult an orthopedic specialist at the earlier. Take care!
Hi!
Hello, thanks for responding the pain has not gone away and it has been almost three weeks, the area of the pain feels to be a little under my knee cap in front and slightly moving to the left side of the knee cap area. When I bend it and try to put weight the pain is a instant sharp shooting pain and it looks a tiny bit puffy on the left side of the knee cap but I put ice and it don't go down. Had xrays done and I was told by ER dont look bad, should I not listen and get a MRI?