Orthopedics Community
shattered ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

shattered ankle

i'm just wondering about the healing process after shattering my ankle given 21 screws and blade. i'm 58 yrs, its been 5 month after surgery and i have major swolleing that i cannot wear shoes.. will it ever go away? will i ever walk normal again? i still limp, stiff and major swelling... i can only walk around the house.   is this normal? i'm very worried about the future.
I'm a registered and certified orthopedic technologist...so my specialty is really casting, splinting, and fracture care.  Just want you to know who you're talking to :)  In order to answer your questions I would need more information.  What kind of fracture did you have?  Was it open, meaning the bone came through the skin?  How did you fracture your ankle?