Orthopedics Community
shoulder pain arthritis in clavical

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

shoulder pain arthritis in clavical

39 yr old male and just had shoulder surgery on both right and left, had severe bone spurs and calcification and brusitis I believe it was called, the left surgery went ok. the right shoulder is another story, the doctor said on top of all the issues i had (the same as the left shoulder mentioned above) I also had arthritis in my clavical bone area, so for this surgery he was going to cut about 2" off my clavical at the end. well now 4 months later my shoulder arm and neck hurt like HECK every day and im getting really bad migrain headaches. is this common?  im very leary now since one of his own nurses said (why didn't he just scrap the arthritis away?) and even advised me to get a second opinion or call a lawyer. I hope what he did is not uncommon and someone might have an answer or hope of help. Thanks Eric
Hi Eric, sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have any knowledge but found your post in looking for info myself. I am a 39 yo female. I have brusitis and some fraying in my left shoulder. My doctor has not been quick to want to operate, but has agreed after I have done a few years of PT, deep tissue massage, cortisone shot, nerve block and trigger point injections.
Were you able to move your shoulder joint before? I wonder because I have full rom, just pain - the worst pain is in my scapula and neck area and my chest. I have been having what they think are muscle spasms in the chest area - and I am hoping the shoulder surgery will help with those muscles. Did you by chance have any pain other than in the shoulder?
I'll be interested to follow your post. I have read that one complication of surgery can be nerve damage - wonder if your surgeon hit a nerve? What does he say about the pain you are having?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
In medical practice the opinion should only be given by an expert. A nurse cannot cure or do surgery effectively or have the knowledge to comment the work of an expert, as you can understand. Do not think otherwise and try to investigate everything.

The most important thing is the surgeon should explain all pros and cons before surgery. Did he explain? What about the post operative reports, did the surgery take place properly? any post- surgical complications?
You need to go for proper physiotherapy and rehabilitation now and try finding solutions to your problems. You can take some intermittent anti inflammatory drugs.
Ask your Orthopaedician for further course of action and take a second opinion to cross check.

Take care!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is always good to go conservatively as your Orthopaedician is doing. Eg: PT, deep tissue massage, cortisone shot, nerve block and trigger point injections.

Surgery is the last resort and take all necessary precautions before that and select a good surgeon if you need one in the future. Do's and Don’ts should be explained to you and also the pros and cons of the surgery. Take care!
Thank you. I am actually having the surgery in a few weeks. I am just worried that the shoulder may not be the true reason for the pain in side of chest and rib area - though I have read some posts from others tonight who have had muscle spasms in other areas due to shoulder injury.
I have been having the shoulder pain since a car accident 4 yrs ago. The pain in chest muscles started about 2 yrs ago. I do feel that i have tried everything else, (including chiropractor which I forgot to mention above) and my PT even thought that the exercises were only further irritating it. Massage therapists always commented on the knots and tightness. The spasms in side of chest (if that's what they are) have been bad enough at times that it hurts to take a breath or even talk and eat. They were only relieved with narcotics, muscle relaxers and antinflamatories
I am happy to have a conservative surgeon - and because of that, assume that he would refuse to do the procedure at all if he didn't think it might help. It's just that his hesitance has made me nervous. He did my knee surgery and I was very happy with his work and he has a very good reputation.
Thanks again for your response and your time.
Eric, just another thought - if I were you, it can't hurt to get a second opinion. I did years ago for my knee - and was glad I did
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi!,
Good to hear that you selected a good surgeon!
Now it is left for the counseling part and the surgeon has to explain pros and cons before going ahead and we wish you luck from the forum.
Take every surgery as new and take all the necessary precautions.
Take care!
Thank you - I will try and remember to come back and post an update as I know these forums must be helpful to others in search of answers.