spinal fusion and bursitis
In 1985, I had a car accident and fractured my L1, L2 and T5 had harrington rods and wires to fuse spine. 1n 1989, rods broke so I had all hardware removed and re-inserted instead of using wires they were replaced with hooks.  I have now developed painful bursitis around the hooks. My skin will actually go under the hook until I manage to move it around. My question is this..Has anyone developed bursitis around the hardware?  My doctor has advised me to have another surgery to cut the rods and remove the top two hooks around my L1. The stinging and burning is very uncomfortable but I'm terrified to have another surgery. I started PT yesterday and it seems to have made it worse. I would appreciate any advise! Thanks

I just found out I have bursitis on my spinal hardware...actually are the screwheads.  It causes me a considerable amount of pain.  Right now I am almost 6 months out from my 2nd back surgery.   For a long time they could figure out hmy pain because in rays my spine supposely looked stable.  Many health care professionals don't even realize that it is possible to get bursitis on hardware.  My PT didn't realize it and PT can exacerbate it.  However, I just had steroid pain injections at the screwhead sites,where I have bursitis. 7 shots.  I am waiting to find out if this is going to help.  I can empathize with your pain and situation.  Will let you know, if you like if the steroid shot help.  But for now, maybe get multiple opnions and do lot of research in medical journals and publications.
Follow up... so far, I think the steroid pain injections at the screwhead sites seem to have alleviated some, but not all of the pain.  But it has helped enough so that I would recommend it and do it again myself.  I hope this helps....and hope you all are feeling better.  Take care.
I'm 20 and I had spinal fusion two years ago (t4-t9) due to a car accident. I spent one week in the hospital without any physical therapy and only one follow up with my doctor (thanks to my insurance policy). I've started experiencing shoulder discomfort about a year ago and now that I'm pregnant it is a constant irritant. I find it hard to go a day without burning, pain and swelling on the inner part of my left shoulder blade (near my spine). I'm not sure what I can do about it either. I find that when I rub my shoulder against a door jam it hurts but also relieves the burning sensation. Hopefully we can all overcome this uncomfortable condition! I'm going to keep checking this page for more answers. Spinal injuries hurt enough, and then this to?! Give us a break, right?