Orthopedics Community
spiral fracture of proximal phalanx , right little finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Abou 8 years ago I broke this bone and it was also diagnosed with an osteochondroma in this bone. They suggested a bone graft to the finger but I declined. I think I broke it again in 2005 but just strapped it up myself.

I have now broken it again, Friday evening and have a spiral fracture with some angulation. It is currently in a backslab cast awaiting appointment at the trauma clinic.

It is my dominant hand and as I am a nail artist my hand is very important to me.

I was just wondering what the outcome might be.

Thanks.

Cathie
Just as an update, the finger is now immobilised for 6 weeks to allow the fracture to heal. I have an appointment to see the plastic surgery hand consultant on 25th Feb. I will need to have an operation due to the enchondroma, the bone is seriously deformed and swolen. Will have more information on 25th.