Orthopedics Community
steel plate in leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

steel plate in leg

I am a 44yr old male who broke both the tibia and fibula playing soccer.after having an operation to repair both breaks a steel plate was fitted from just below the knee about 12 inches long to add strength to the recovery of my leg break .It is now about 14 weeks since the op and I am walking without the aid of crutches and still recieving physiotherapy.The problem now is that whilst I am improving with my walking I am becoming very aware of the steel plate and feel it is hindering me rather than helping me recover (the plate is fitted perfectly ,no movement in it ).Can anyone tell me if this is just a stage of the recovery process and that it will disappear or that I  will always be aware of the plate or I would be better to have it removed (baring in mind that the consultant said they usually recommend it stays in for 18 months sometimes forever) has anyone experienced this before ?

i am a64 yr old female i have had knee ortho surgery 2 times - a plate in my leg just below the knee-due to falling and injuring it--dr took a cyst out of my bone--he set my leg crooked --now after 2 years i am told this has to be removed and now will have to have a complete knee replacement--it hurts all  the time now --walking crooked effected my hip--the dr can not tell me if he can  put my leg straight again--any comments ??i am scared to have surgery again
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Take a second opinion and try to delay the surgery and also conservative approach.

Knee replacement is the final solution if all other methods fail and you also have to be counseled and explained the SOP properly before going ahead.

Take care!