Orthopedics Community
steel plate in my leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

steel plate in my leg

I am a 25yr old male who broke both the tibia and fibula playing football.after having an operation to repair both breaks a steel plate was fitted to add strength to the recovery of my leg break. it had been 3 weeks since the op just got my stiches out and dr told me to start walking on it slowely, i been walking not putting to much weight on it but is very painfull when im walking. has anyone had this done orbeen in this situation? have you recovered 100%.
Tags: plate, legs, Operation, football
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You will recover with time and with intense dedicated Physiotherapy.
People adjust and lead normal life with plates, screws etc after sugeries.

Start your movements slowly as you have stiffness, which is the effect of immobilisation due to the operation. Take care!
so will i be as normal then or will the plate effect me. will i be able 2 run and things
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes you would be normal. The orthopaedic surgeon might have done a good job and it is now recovery time for you.
Movements would be limited but still you can do things, we advice you to be slow and with gaining strength and decreasing pain and with physiotherapy you will be able to run slowly. Take care!
thx 4 everything
hello, i had surgery last week to have 8 screws and a plate to hold the tib and fib together and to help the tib heal and there is no pain in my leg/ankle when my foot is raised but when i stand and my leg is below my body the pain is awful! is this normal?
I was 29 years old when I snapped my tiba and fibula, also had to receive plate and screws to reconstruct everything.

I've been recovering for almost 6 months now and still experience pain, stiffness, swelling and discomfort on a daily basis. I've just started running again (albeit for very short distances), but taking it very slowly for now. It took me almost 2 months of intense physio and exercise to be able to walk longer distances, and this was after spending about 4 months in a cast and on crutches. Patience is key!

Keep in mind those bones are weight bearing and take a lot of punishment even without an injury to aggravate the situation. Bones in the leg are very iffy when it comes to healing and pain and discomfort is very normal after this particular kind of surgery, especially if you've had some hardware installed. In some cases (obviously depending on the severity of the break), pain can last months, nevermind a few days.

Just be patient and keep going to a physio regularly and ease into exercise. Also consult regularly with your orthopedic surgeon just to check your progress.