Orthopedics Community
sudden onset of foot pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

sudden onset of foot pain

One month ago I injured my left knee. I am still favoring that leg when I walk and have an appointment with an Orthopedic surgeon sep 16. However, I now have another problem and I wonder if it could be a result of favoring my left leg. Yesterday my right foot started hurting really bad and i could hardly walk on it. It still hurts very bad today. This is a problem, because now I am using my left leg more and am afraid it will re-injury that knee. Is there any reason why my right foot would have pain in relation to the left knee injury? I can walk (sort of) on my toes, but cannot walk with my foot flat to the floor. The pain is from the inside across the bottom arch area to the outside closer to the heel. It hurts a little up into my leg.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Whenever you have a problem with one leg you put pressure on the better leg and if you do not do it properly there is every reason of twisting the foot and remember you are putting the whole weight of the body on one foot.
Take anti inflammatory drugs and rest and take an early appointment for diagnosis of your problems for proper examination near an orthopedician.

Take care!
thanks, I figured that was what was causing the pain, but wasn't sure. I am still on anti-inflammatory drugs from when I first hurt my knee. I have an appointment Wednesday for it, so I suppose I can have him look at my foot as well. Back to the crutches I guess.
Ask your doctor about Plantar Fasciitis (more information here: http://www.plantar-fasciitis.org/). This may be the cause of your pain. I too had the same problem when I had left knee surgery. My other foot started hurting terrible! I got arch supports which helped me a lot. Check with your doctor to be sure nothing else is wrong but this sounds the same as what I had. Good luck!

Jen
Thanks! I was wondering about that. The funny thing is that this came on very suddenly.
Is that how it was with you?
Tori
Yes, fairly quickly started bothering me. But I think that it was bothering me on/off but just did not pay attention because of other leg being so painful.
Well, after a bit of physical therapy and lots of rest and TLC, my knee is doing better. Still hurts though after a day of lots of standing or walking. (It's been three months plus!) However, I recently I started have a new pain and wondered if it could be in association with the knee injury. Short sharp jabbing pain in  left ankle at odd times, usually though right when I get up in the mornings. Same leg as the knee injury. Hopefully you can make a suggestion.   Thanks, Tori