Orthopedics Community
swollen index finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

swollen index finger

My right index finger has been swollen for a month now.  the knuckle is painful to the touch, but i'm able to bend it.  Any ideas what it could be??
Thanks for any help!  
Avatar n tn
Hi, this could be tenosynovitis which is inflammation of sheath that surrounds the tendon. Do you have history of injury? Try anti inflammatory drugs along with antibiotics for 5 days and in case no relief is seen, do consult doctor. Better use crepe bandage for immobility.

For more information visit http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic571.htm

I had this! My orthopedic doc showed me that I was holding my pens too tightly. I teach writing and had a death-grip on the pens I was using to correct papers. He suggested I switch to fat pens and pens with soft wraps. I did and the pain/swelling disappeared over a short time.

Now, I'm very aware of how I'm holding my pens.

Good luck!