Orthopedics Community
swollen wrist with pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

swollen wrist with pain

i have had pain in my wrist for the past 2 and half months and have been going to the orthopedic dr and friday he said my tendons are tendor and my hand is swollen. im just wondering what is going on because ive been wearing a splint for the past 2 and a half month and he just gave me a cortisone shot that did not help at all and when it snows and rains my hand hurts even more. what can be happening and what else can i do
     How are you? Swollen wrist with pain can occur in quite a number of conditions like arthritis, fracture, tendonitis etc. It is necessary to confirm the diagnosis with physical examination and x-rays. Depending upon what is causing the swelling and pain treatment would vary. I would suggest to take a second opinion on this.

Treatment of tendonitis consists of immobilization with a splint or cast, ice packs to reduce inflammation and improve blood supply, NSAID’s and cortisone injections.
Surgery is only done when these other treatment methods have failed to solve the problem. If that is the case, the area of tight tendon sheath that cause the painful and difficult tendon movements can be released. The inflammatory tissue can also be removed in an effort to create more space for the tendon to move freely.
Hope this information helps.
Best.
I used to have a lot of pain in my large thumb knucke and wrist area. I thought maybe it was carpal tunnel, but was tested and the nerve is fine. I could not even cup my hand to hold water to wash my face. If I bumped it the pain was unbareable. You may not believe this, but I bought this band call Q-ray and within 24 hours the pain subsided so much that I hardly notice it at all. This was over 5 years ago and I am still relatively pain free. Mind over matter....I still don't think so because the pain was so intense that I thought I would have to live with it. I was diagnosed as having arthritis in the wrist-thumb area. Having boxed as a young man and injured that area many times.
Wrocky