Orthopedics Community
synvisc injections in the jaw joint

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

synvisc injections in the jaw joint

I have severe osteoarthritis in the jaw. I have already had orthroscoptic surgery last year which helped a bit but now the oral surgeon is going to inject me with synvisc in 2 weeks to help the pain. I'm not allergic to chicken or feathers to my knowledge , but I'm very leary about using it.Has anyone ever used this med. for the jaw. I have worn a hole in the disc and he has said that down the road I may need a more major surgery.I'm very nervous about using  synvisc let alone having an injection in my jaw.I do want relief, though.
Hi there!

Yes, synvisc can be used for oetsoarthritis of the temporomandibular (jaw) joint and is found to be effective in relieving symptoms. Except for allergy, there are rarely any side effects. You may discuss in detail with your treating doctor to relieve your apprehension.
Hope this helps.

Take care!

Thank you so much for the info regarding synvisc. The oral surgeon did ask me about allergies of which I have none. You have put my mind at ease. It is an expensive procedure as well so I needed to know that it can be quite successful .
How did these injections work for your TMJ issues? I'm very interested to hear about how effective it was! I have ni discs left in either side of my jaw and suffer terribly from it!