Orthopedics Community
synvisc-one

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

synvisc-one

October 17, 2012, had one injection of Synvisc-one in each knee.  I was told to wait at least 2 weeks for it to kick in.  Nothing happened, in fact, if anything my knees got worse and pain begain to go through my calves and at night my thighs.  Then my elbow joints started to hurt, and then my shoulders on occasion.  Sometimes my upper back and neck hurt.  These new areas of pain only started after Synvisc.  
This may have nothing to do with Synvisc, but I have also had 3 colds since the injections.  I almost never get a cold.  Prior to Synvisc, I have had only 3 colds in 15 years.  Aside from this it is the pain that I am most concerned about.  
Should I get more shots?  How could it go wrong with the gel that was supposed to be injected in my knees.  What could be the possible reasons that Synvisc did not work for me?  Will it ever work for me?
Thanks for your help and response.

Worldskydiva
Hi there!

The symptoms described may or may not be related to synvisc. These could be regular viral infections or could occur secondary to mild allergy to synvisc. If there has not been any improvement 2-4 weeks after the shots, it is best advised to seek a review with the treating orthopedician before planning the next shot.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!