Orthopedics Community
tailbone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tailbone

My tailbone has bothered me for a couple of months...it was just a little annoying at first and I had no idea why it was bothering me so I figured it would go away.  Then 2 weeks ago I fell landing full force on my backside and knew immediately that I at least bruised it.  Now I can't stand up, bend over, get out of bed, pretty much any full body movement etc without it hurting.  The pain is completely condensed to one area, it doesn't radiate. I was laying on the floor today, on my back, stretching and went to roll up (like I was going to do a sit up) and as soon as I hit the particular spot I had to roll onto my side and not move for a few seconds because it hurt so much.

How long does it take a fractured tailbone to heal and if it is fractured is there anything they can do for it?  Also, since I was having minor issues before I was wondering if it could be nerve related or is there such thing as arthritis in the tail bone??  Thanks!
I fell and cracked my tailbone when I was 12. I have had pain there ever since.
I have learned over the years which sitting positions,etc. cause the most pain.
Don't get on a crazy carpet with your kids! You'll hit a rock for sure,and hurt it even worse! lol
They never did anything for mine...they just told my mom to make sure that I sat on pillows and didn't do anything strenuous for a few weeks.
My tailbone is bent in and upwards from the accident,(and excuse me if this is TMI,but) since that accident,on occasion,it hurts to have a bowel movement,and it hurt like crazy when I gave birth to my sons.
I suppose you could get arthritis there...after all,it is a bone/joint area.
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I'm not alone!!!!  I have had tailbone pain for about a year +  & about 1 year before it started I had had a full X-Ray done of my spine cuz every now n then @ the base of the back of my head feels like it grinds???????  kind of strange!
Anyway, at first I thought mine was related to this stupid cyst I had in my left ovary, but the Dr I was seeing said nope.  He even checked it out & told me I must have hit it & just didn't remember doing it.
Anyway, thats been well over a year ago, & it still hurts.  But I've learned how to deal w/it & I don't complain about it either.  I've never had to take meds for it.
I just have learned to "sit" the way it works for me, & if I'm sitting not quite right, then I HAVE to get up more carefully!  
The "pain" it literally on the end of my tailbone!  & it feels like I may have more "bone" towards the left side of my tailbone...strange.......

Could it be arthritis?  Or bone spurs?  I've been having "women" issues for the past 2 years, so I just don't feel like going to ANOTHER Dr's!  It's not that bad, just  a little bug!!!
Yesterday I got kicked in the bottom and it hurts to stand up, sit down, and jump. Should I be worried?