Orthopedics Community
tearing feeling in the heel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tearing feeling in the heel

I have this pain in my heel that feels like I am tearing something every time I bend over without bending my knee first. I have had plantar faciitis and this feels totally different. I have read somewhere that you can rupture your pantar fascia, could this be what I have done? If so, what do I need to do to heal it as it is VERY painful if I step the wrong way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Injection for Heel Spur (2 replies):
    Hello all, I have had a painful heel spur on right foot ...[more]
  • Heel pain (3 replies):
    I have a pain in my heel that only happens if I bend ove...[more]
  • Heel spur (9 replies):
    Hello. I've had heel pain that's been getting gradually ...[more]
  • Heel (1 replies):
    Well a week ago friday i smashed my heel between a pull ...[more]
  • Heel spurs (2 replies):
    Can heel spurs cause the top of the foot to burn? I have...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You should wear proper supportive footwear. Do not stretch or overly exert the affected foot. Take NSAIDs intermittently and apply ice packs regularly.

With rest and some lifestyle changes the inflammation should decrease or follow up with an orthopedician for a proper examination and diagnosis.

Take care!
It could be your achilles.  In your previous post, you said the pain was not on the bottom of your heel, but in the back of your heel.  It sounds like your pain is where your achilles attaches to your heel bone.  

By any chance, did you take any antibiotics in the past few months.  If you took any in the fluoroquinolone class (Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, etc), then that could be the reason.  These antibiotics are known to cause all sorts of problems, like tendinitis, ruptured tendons, irreversible peripheral neuropathy, etc.  If you did, do not get a steroid injection, because you will have a much higher chance of tendon rupture.  These antibiotics have crippled many people.  These disabling side effects can last many years, or for life.
I too have the same pain: bending over causes sharp stabbing pain on left side of right heel.  The pain started in Sept 2011.  No pain on bottom of heel.  Now the right heel hurts on the left side all the time and the left heel has started to hurt in the same area.  A visit to the podiatrist did not accomplish relief.  He said my feet were tight and gave me stretching exercises.  I do some stretching but feel minimal relief from the exercises.  
Hi have this too... won't go away have tried stretches just hurts more, ice does nothing.. heat hides the pain for a while but then comes back! Does anyone know what this is? it's really annoying.
This pain just started for me 2 weeks ago, and is not on back of heel, but inside bottom of heel, almost towards arch. Feels like a sharp "zing!" of a pain when I bend at waist without bending knees first. Chiropractor gave me calf stretches, though it was maybe early sign of plantars facitis, but calves do not seem particularly tight, and stretches have provided no relief.

I also feel the pain less sharply when I sit with my legs straight in front of me.

The pain does not last when I adjust position (though I feel some sensitivity now on bottom of heel towards arch) and is quite dormant while walking. Any help as to what this is (or how to get rid of it!) appreciated.
I have the exact same pain. It's on the inside of my right heel, near the bottom. It feels like something is suddenly tearing or ripping and goes away immediately when I change positions. It happens when I bend at the hip without bending my knee and if I sit flat on the floor with my leg straight out infront of me. I have had plantar faciitis, but no problems with that in years.
However recently I have been on my feet A LOT and every night went to bed with throbbing feet. I think I have injured myself through overexertion.
  I believe this has more to do with the achilles tendon than plantar. It's not a "soreness or bruising" type pain like plantar. It literally feels like something tearing and goes away immediately when tendon is relaxed.  
I too have exact problem as you descibe and would like to know if you were able to find an acceptable diagnosis/cause for your pain.  Your response would be much appreciated.  My pain, though excruciating at first, has lessened by being very careful to remember to bend knees and not to lean forwards for a couple of weeks.  However, once I forget or think that I no longer have the problem I get caught out and pain is there still though not as bad.  Seems to be worst in morning then faiding later into the day, as if after long periods of not using foot it is ripe for a pain.  I hope you are better by now and perhaps can enlighten myself as to what exactly it was!