Orthopedics Community
tendon/ligament pain after TKR

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tendon/ligament pain after TKR

I had a knee replacement 8/07 - everything went well.  Joined a gym 3/08 and have been diligent with my workouts.  A few weeks ago I developed pain on the outside of the replaced joint during the transition between flexing and extending my knee (feels like a tendon/ligament gets "caught" on the joint and then releases).  I've been taking NSAIDs and the pain has lessened a bit.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what may be causing the pain or is it time to see my surgeon for another follow-up?  Thanks in advance.
Hello Dear,
There could be some trauma  causing the pain.You should see your physician and get an x-ray done to know the present condition.Loosening of prosthesis might be a possibility or there could be some ligament strain.You should get it evaluated.Tke rest and donot exert.
Best

I have had both knees replaced. My left was done in Janurary 2007 and my right knee was done in July 2007. Since the surgery I have had severe pain espically on the outside of the right knee. I have pain in both knees and limited movement in both. The pain has not gotten any better with time. I did have an injection of steroids about 6 months ago that helped some but things have not gotten any better since. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? ***@****
I have a pain that sounds almost exactly like yours!  I had a knee replacement in September of 2006. Everything was fine for several months until I started to experience what I could only call a "catch" behind my knee just past the 90 degree bend.  My PT sent me back to my surgeon who confirmed that the prosthesis was fine, no infection, etc.  He literally patted himself on the back for a job well done and sent me on my way.  
Exercise made it worse and I started having a reflective pain down the left side of my lower leg. So, I went to a different surgeon who suggested the PT was the problem and I needed to focus solely on building up my quadricep with simple straight leg lifts.  After the prescribed 3 months of self physical therapy, I returned only to have him decide that the prosthesis, while in tact, didn't fit right.  He wanted to do another total knee replacement!
I am VERY reluctant to do that and am currently working with a different PT who thinks that the problem is a general mis-alignment of my hips/back caused by years of favoring a bad knee. She is working to build my glut and hamstring, and NOT the quad. No luck so far.
When I am in better shape I will start searching for a surgeon who can convince me that another total knee WILL resolve this problem.
I wish I had better news.  Would love to hear from others who have had post surgery knee-replacement problems.
I had tkr 12 months ago i fell over on crutches 6 weeks after the 3 months after kicked out after a bad dream and felt something tear even more I have had an aspiration but I have had now benefit from this at all in actual fact I have been in more pain .When I move my knee and touch at the same time it feels like crushing eggshells .I cannot seem to get anyone to listen it is driving me insane now