Orthopedics Community
tendon pain from wrist up arm persists

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tendon pain from wrist up arm persists

3 months ago I fell heavily landing on my right elbow, resulting in a very large bruise, but no other damage. About 5 days later I began to get a severe burning pain from my inner wrist going up my forearm, and on having to visit the hospital, a strained tendon was diagnosed, not a break or fracture. Despite wearing a support for several weeks, the pain remains, and I can no longer open wide my thumb and first finger,. There is swelling along the tendon. I cannot lift using that hand or do most things, so favour my left hand. If rest has not cured this tendon pain, what can help?
Tags: tendon, Pain, wrist
Hello Dear,
The treatment for wrist tendonitis includes the following-
• Immobilization
Placing the wrist in a splint or a cast is usually the first treatment step. Wrist tendonitis is due to recurrent irritation of the tendon and its sheath. By resting the tendon, the inflammation should decrease.
• Ice the Injury
Applying an ice pack intermittently to the area of inflammation may also be beneficial. Icing wrist tendonitis can help to cool inflammation and also stimulates blood flow to the area of tendonitis.
• Anti-Inflammatory Medications
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications will help control symptoms of pain, but more importantly they help in the treatment of wrist tendonitis to decrease inflammation and swelling of the soft-tissues. These treatment medications will decease the inflammatory response which is the cause of the pain.
• Cortisone Injection
Cortisone is a more powerful anti-inflammatory treatment option that is given by injection directly to the site of inflammation. Cortisone injections are safe, but can weaken tendons over time if too many injections are given.
• Surgery
Surgery is only done when these other treatment methods have failed to solve the problem. If that is the case, the area of tight tendon sheath that cause the painful and difficult tendon movements can be released. The inflammatory tissue can also be removed in an effort to create more space for the tendon to move freely.
• You should consult an orthopedic physician and get the evaluation done.
Refer http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/handwristsurgery/a/wristtendonitis.htm
Best