Orthopedics Community
tibia and fib pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tibia and fib pain

About 4 years ago I broke both my tib and fib. I had a rod put into my fib along with 2 screws on the bottom and 1 on top. In November of 2007 I had the screws taken out. Here is my problem. Pain ,Pain , Pain. 4 years and no better> My doctor told me that the bone has healed well, as long as a second ortho, who said the same thing. Why such excruiating pain??? Firstly I have a vice-like pain after walking short distances, it is painful to the point that I come close to vomiting. Yet I have healed well? Secondly when I breathe hard or cough I have a sharp pain that lasts seconds but makes me wince everytime it happens daily or more. It shoots up from my ankle to about my knee. Can't walk for more than a few blocks without a painful limp. Yet I have been told that I have healed well by 2 Dr's. Has anyone else had such a long occurence of pain after a break like this. Please someone respond. I wish I had never bought a quad I hit a rock with my foot and watched my bottom of my foot swing around twice before it was caught between the quad and a rock. Hell ever since..... If your a doc or have some advice please respond . Rob from Ct.
also I should mention yhe pain is all impact related. Thats why I can ride a bike without pain but walking well thats another story
Hi Rob - Great - I can't wait to hear from a dr that "everything looks fine" when the shooting pain from the ankle to the knee tells me it's not. The pain level varies but most of the time it's a 10. My right tibial plateau was fractured 9-4-2004. After the external fixator was removed, a plate & 2 screws were put on (into?) my knee. I thought everything was par for the course with recovery and the usual warning from the doc about arthritis developing, until this past week when I started experiencing the pain described above and other painful sensations emanating from my ankle. The trigger is not (yet?) impact related, just simple movements provoke it - whatever "it" is. Sorry I don't have any advice but if you find out anything, please post it here and I will do the same. (It's nice to know I'm not alone - or nuts.)