Orthopedics Community
tibia fibula surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tibia fibula surgery

I broke my tibia and fibula six months ago. after two surgerys and five non weight bearing months,I finally am trying to walk.after six weeks of trying to walk,I have severe pain in my ankle,and the lower part of my calf. My doc says this is normal, but I just think it's not. I have metal plates and screws in my leg also.My foot and toes are mostly numb. Has anyone had these problems, and if so any suggestions. thanks.
Tags: Pain
Placement of plates and screws might be the cause of nerve impingement which might be causing your foot and toes going numb.
You need to get imaging study like x-ray study and MR study of your fracture site and look for pathology of soft tissue and bone tissue.
It is important for you to see orthopaedician at earliest and get evaluation at earliest.
Have you been to your surgeon recently? If yes, what he has to say about your symptoms.
Hope this helps.
Bye.

I haven't seen my doc for six weeks,but I will see him in two weeks. I hope I can make it that long. I walk about twenty minutes and it hurts so bad I have to get off of it.It sure seems like I should be farther along than I am.My calf and ankle still swells real bad. thank you.
Hi Floyd,
Six weeks is quite a long time especially since you have undergone a major surgery. It is quite likely that screws and plates might be impinging on nerve.
In presence of other symptoms like ankle and calf swelling I would suggests if you can see him early just for a preliminary check and later after 2 weeks you can go in for detailed check.
An imaging study and examination would help to understand your symptoms better.
Keep us posted if you have any queries.
Bye.
Hi Floyd,
Keep us posted if you have any queries.
Bye.
Thanks for the iinformation, after I see the doc I'll post back. thanks again.
When is your earliest meeting with the doctor? You can probably proponed that meeting for a primitive check.
Your symptoms are such which needs to be addressed soon by a qualified doctor.
If you ignore these symptoms then these can be issue with regards to further management.
All the best and Good Luck.
Bye.
I'm suppowed to see my doctor march 7. Maybe he can tell me whats going on.I saw my  family doctor yesterday for something for the pain. He told me to try ultram-er to see if that will help.Sometimes it feels like I have something stuck in my ankle. I'll just have to wait and see what my ortho doc says. thank you
well I went back to my doctor. He said my bone may have shifted.He wants a CT scan to see whats going on.It all sounds greek to me.Just thought I"d let you know.