Orthopedics Community
tibia injury pain 2 weeks post fall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

tibia injury pain 2 weeks post fall

I fell on the 20th of March, hitting my tibia right on a table leg, so hard I was crying thinking that I broke it the pain was so bad... well, it started feeling better, I didn't work out until Thursday of that week and ran/walked 2 miles Thurs and Friday, Sat, it still felt fine but on Sun. the pain was really bad, went to the urgent care on Monday and they didn't see anything on the x-ray and to follow with ortho in a week if I still had pain.. I did and do still have it, the pain was going from my knee down to my ankle, more with rest, when sitting in the car driving, laying in bed  (left leg injury) non weight bearing pain.

Went to the ortho on the 2nd of april, he did a medicated pressure dressing with another wrapping and a ace bandage around, wanted me to keep on till today (wed) took that off and then, the pain was there :( so he is putting me in a walking boot for a week. when I had the pressure dressing on, there was a slight pain but not that bad.. without, it was like nothing changed from the day he put it on.

can you get a stress fracture from blunt trauma like that??

I can't believe that with nothing showing on the x-ray, I still have pain like this, its a throbbing type pain, more just where the injury typically was.  Urgent care Dr. thought it was a bone contusion. I would have rather of had it be a break where it could be fixed at once and on its way to heeling... I miss my workouts
Hi there!

Yes, one can get a stress fracture from a blunt trauma. Other likely possibilities include soft tissue injuries (ligaments/ tendons), bone bruise/ haematoma etc. I would suggest following your doctor’s advice for a few weeks, before seeking a review on the issue. Meanwhile you could try some OTC NSAIDS for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!