titanium rod in lower leg
In 2003 i broke my tib/fib, it was pretty sever, broken near my ankle.  I was given the choice to do a cast or metal rod with pins through my leg for a speedy recovery in witch i choose. It was put through the lower part of my leg down to my ankle  Big mistake! I can't even walk a mile without my leg killing me. Hurts from my Knee down to where there is a small bump (feels like bone) on top of my ankle. I need to know if the rod and pins can be removed? If so how fast is the recovery and will the pain go away?
correction it was put through my lower knee down to my ankle
Dear kh78, I reciently had surgery due to a motorcycle accident. I also broke my Tib/Fib Aug 18 2011.They put a rod in above the knee to the ankle, attaching it with pins and screws. My recovery has been horrible so far. I am very active prior to the accident and also in my mid 20s. The doctor said I would recover quick and easy for the most part. Since the surgery the day after the accident I have been back in the hospital 3 times due to a infection in my foot called Cellulitis (Etreamly severe and painful infection) I am having a hard time moving my foot at the ankle. The swelling has went down since my last hospital visit a week ago but, i'm very worried long term. Any pointers concerning physical therapy? I have no insurance so I'm having to do all of this myself. If anyone can give ANY advice I would appreciate it!
I broke both bones between  my knee & ankle in 2006 & they put a rod in & screws. A yr later they went in & took the screws out because I was  having trouble with the one near my ankle. Now 8 yrs later i still have a lot of pain & all the doctors  can tell me is they can't find anything & that there is nothing  they can do for me & that they have done this surgery alot & have not ever heard of anyone  having trouble like I do. Anyone else know anything about this??
Tib fib fracture and had a rod put in tibia at 30 years old. Had screws removed within 4 years. Had weird times, not very often, when it would ache for an hour or two and couldn't hardly walk on it from 4 to 10 years. I'm 54 now and don't even know it's there other than the severe damage that was done to veins and muscle at time of injury. Over all leg is probably 90% probably will be till I'm in the dirt. Considering the initial damage I think it turned out well for the long hall. Lost 3/4" in leg length. That is a pain for your body to get used to, but again now I don't even notice. Oh yah, don't get a MRI with the screws in, it burns like hell fire where the screws are.