Orthopedics Community
titanium rod in lower leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

titanium rod in lower leg

In 2003 i broke my tib/fib, it was pretty sever, broken near my ankle.  I was given the choice to do a cast or metal rod with pins through my leg for a speedy recovery in witch i choose. It was put through the lower part of my leg down to my ankle  Big mistake! I can't even walk a mile without my leg killing me. Hurts from my Knee down to where there is a small bump (feels like bone) on top of my ankle. I need to know if the rod and pins can be removed? If so how fast is the recovery and will the pain go away?
correction it was put through my lower knee down to my ankle
Dear kh78, I reciently had surgery due to a motorcycle accident. I also broke my Tib/Fib Aug 18 2011.They put a rod in above the knee to the ankle, attaching it with pins and screws. My recovery has been horrible so far. I am very active prior to the accident and also in my mid 20s. The doctor said I would recover quick and easy for the most part. Since the surgery the day after the accident I have been back in the hospital 3 times due to a infection in my foot called Cellulitis (Etreamly severe and painful infection) I am having a hard time moving my foot at the ankle. The swelling has went down since my last hospital visit a week ago but, i'm very worried long term. Any pointers concerning physical therapy? I have no insurance so I'm having to do all of this myself. If anyone can give ANY advice I would appreciate it!